SUGGESTION (re: "casting off"/4 bars/system)

In scenarios like the following:

it would save a lot of time if I could set Dorico in Layout Options–>Staves and Systems–>Casting Off not only the “Fixed no. of bars/system” to “4”, but (with this already invoked) also set Dorico to automatically group (for example) from measure 149 in the following example through just before rehearsal #8 ALSO onto a single system (as would commonly be done):

I’m about to print a big band score and find myself having to do this for every single part automatically, which doesn’t feel very Dorico-like (my two cents!)

• D.D.

I would also suggest… and what frustrates me more than what you’re pointing out perhaps… is that when casting off in groups of 4 bars, that multi-measure rests should count as the number of bars in the multi–measure rest, not as 1 bar! That defeats the purpose of casting off in 4 bar increments. In other words currently the way it works is if you have for example two bars of notes followed by three bars of rests followed by another 3 bars of music and have Dorico set to cast off in 4 bar increments Dorico will put bars 1, 2, 3-5 (as a single three bar multi-measure rest) and 6 on the first system and bars 7 and 8 on the second system. What it SHOULD do is put bars 1, 2, 3-4 (as a TWO bar multi-measure rest) on the first system and bars 5 (as a single bar of rest), 6, 7 and 8 on the second system.

You can save the Layout Options as your Defaults, abd they will be stuck for all new documents.

Ben, Layout Options isn’t relevant to manually entered system and frame breaks…