Suggestion re: tuplet entry

Make Alt+Enter in the Tuplet popup do a “one shot”…make the requested tuplet then exit tuplet mode.

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll consider it!

I wonder if it would be nicer to make this the other way round. For example “4:3” creates a single tuplet, but “4:3+” creates a series of tuplets until you press “:”.

You could extend this to make “4:3+2” create two tuplets and then terminate, etc. Useful when engraving, but maybe not so useful when composing.

But don’t ask how all this is supposed to work when you want to create nested tuplets :slight_smile:

Oh, I agree that the reverse is the more intuitive option, but I figured that would be a bridge too far.

Of course, what I’d really like is the the default binding to create exactly a triplet automatically (or a duplet in compound meter), and invoke the cmd with ctrl or something else for other -uplets, since for the vast, vast majority of music you want a triplet 99.9999% of the time.

I remember that in early Dorico 1, you had to write 3:2 in the popover when you needed a triplet… Now you can simply input 3, or tuplefy after the fact with just 3 in the tuplet popover. But of course if something is efficient go speed up the workflow, I’m interested!

I like all of these ideas. I even think some version of Rob’s “4:3+2” would often be quite useful while composing, as there are plenty of times we’re entering lines we’ve already “listened ahead to” in their entirety. (And for occasions where we aren’t, there’s live MIDI keyboard input.)

In the meantime, if anyone is using a productivity app such as Keyboard Maestro or whatever the Windows equivalent might be, it’s pretty easy to set up an action to do something similar, and it makes a significantly bigger difference than I’d even hoped when setting it up. Since pressing right-arrow and then left-arrow releases the tuplet and returns the caret, I have a button that sends all of that, not just the popover. So single press creates one tuplet, or I can double tap for the default series of tuplets. These seem like they’ll be small gains, but they really add up and definitely make entry go much faster and smoother!

Interesting! Since I almost always input using a MIDI keyboard and keypad, I just programmed keypad 1 to start a tuplet and keypad 2 to end it. (Sorry 64th note, all other numbers correspond to their regular note values.) To enter a single triplet, I hit 1, 3, enter, 2 which is pretty fast and my hand doesn’t have to leave the keypad.