SuperVision VU Question

Ok… seems that I will use Klanghelm then… so strange. Once again it’s only with the Supervision VU

Cubase 12.0…40 Windows 11

1 Like

Yes, the test generator is the same. But when you will add some audio (samples, loops or just kick) you will see the difference …

Peak hold and Peak feedback in the module settings will have an influence on the peak response of the meters. At the top of the settings there is an audio performance switch (see screenshot where the location is indicated by a red arrow). The response also varies according to the source signal and with certain signals you’ll notice the difference more.

[EDIT] But there may possibly be an issue with the rise time of Supervision’s VU meter.

Once again. With a sine wave or test generator all looks ok. But when you add loop or kick sample then the result will be different…

Attached a small file with impulses of 300 ms
load this file in a project and set it to repeat.
Over time the Klanghelm meter shows inconsequent behaviour.
(Hold time)
Delta

Ok. Load the file. And see attached first screen. The results are the same. After that I was muted this channel and added Lofi_Drum_Loop_135_02_Full_LD and check the second attached screen. See the big difference??? I don’t change any parameters on VU meters…

3 Likes

@Alexander_D Agree 100%. That drum loop shows up a significant issue with the rise time of Supervision.

Exactly! It’s what I am talking about… @Martin.Jirsak @Romantique_Tp can you please check it and send to Steinberg? It’s really don’t correct. Klanghelm, Tb pro audio and waves VU meters show nearly the same results. But supervision is not correct in this way… :frowning:

Ok, last question: Are you using the latest version of Cubase?

At least in Nuendo there was a release note for the latest version that the ballistics of the needle in Supervision changed. So a last-ditch effort to check this should probably be to first double-check the setup in both Klangheim and Supervision as far as selectable ballistics go, and secondly to update to the latest Cubase if you’re not already on it and there was a change in that last version…

PS: This is why I don’t bother with VU meters and use BS.1770-x loudness instead…

I am on Cubase 12.0.40 ( the last version). And I am not only the one who have this problem… both settings are the same in all VU meters

Tested on the latest versions of both Cubase and Nuendo and see the same results as Alexander. Klanghelm was set to its default values 300ms rise time and 300ms fallback time.

P.S. FYI there are no options for setting the rise and fallback times of the main needle in Supervision’s VU meter. AFAIK the peak hold and peak fallback parameters concern the peak needle only.

Yes! I was tested it on two machines. Mac and Windows. Cubase 12.0.40. The result is the same. Test generator works and looks the same in all VU meters, but when you add loop or something the results are different so much! Please fix this Steinberg!

FYi
See this video. No sound, sorry
Delta

Metering +/- -3db
imo there is someting wrong with Klanghelm
Delta

That’s not very specific. What is your video meant to show?

3 meters same input signal
Only klanghelm triggers overload indicators
the klanghelm pointer is nominal above -3 db
Delta

Video doesn’t work for me. Klanghelm and TB Pro Audio VU show me the same result… so, you think that both are incorrect and supervision is correct?

Forget about VU meters and make music guys.

2 Likes

True… but we create music with the tools which was included in the product which we buy ) and it’s a gain staging. And it’s important thing… IMHO of course

1 Like

The VUMT overload indicator response you see is arbitrary in terms of Alexander’s test above. The VUMT rise time is much faster than Supervision and thus VUMT registers the actual peaks, whereas Supervision does not.

If peaks in the source signal rise above -6dBFS you will see the peak indicators light up in yellow in VUMT. However, for these same peaks you will often not see the peak indicators light up in Supervision’s VU, even though the peak threshold seem to be set at -15dBFS.