Support For MIDI Polyphonic Expression

Just trying to help you.

Thank you. I appreciate it. But I’m thinking of the -next- guy. The current system is predicated on the notion that a person will only need to know about MPE if they purchase an MPE-enabled device. But clearly there are guys like -me- who compose who can benefit from knowing about this tech. But we don’t know what we don’t know. I only became aware of it through an article in a magazine and then doing Feature Request here and having it explained here. That’s messed up. If it’s already IN THE PRODUCT it should be explained in the manual.

It’s not the easiest thing to wrap your head around at first, but Cubase is really flexible once you do.

At it’s heart all MPE is is pitchbend and CC data per-MIDI-channel, so each note is on a unique MIDI channel (2-16 going by the spec, with channel 1 being ‘global’). Each note in Cubase can be on a unique MIDI channel in the info pane and Note Expression can already be set to control any CC, so there we go.

That’s not a fair comparison, IMO. One does not interact directly with the VST API nor the MIDI streaming standard. But if one is to be able to edit MPE data in a Cubase editor, it is only reasonable that this topic is presented in the user manual. If Steinberg has gone to the trouble (as been implied here) to open up note expression editing facilities for use with MPE, then that’s most commendable. But, hey, how about telling the user base about it?

With all due respect, I don’t think -you- understand, sir. I just wanted the mere fact of its EXISTENCE documented in the manual.

I already well understood the concept… as I’m sure a lot of people do. We have wanted it for years. We’ve just been waiting to learn about soft synths that actually -support it! You’ll see how many -controllers- support it, but there are still very few destinations (soft synths) that do so. It looks like MPE is getting some support now in this area. So learning that Cubase supports it -now- is big news and I want to see it talked up IN THE MANUAL!

—JC

okay then.
peace out.

It’s not in the manual because what you’re calling MPE is literally just regular MIDI… You can achieve the exact same thing by using the Info Line or the Logical Editor to send each note played simultaneously to a different MIDI channel.

All MPE controllers do (as hinted by multiple posts here) is facilitate the use of a MIDI programming technique that has existed since the 80s. MIDI programming tricks are outside the scope of the manual.

Suntower, I’m glad you brought up the topic. I’ve learned a lot about this subject from reading the posts in this thread. I think we all know the Cubase documentation is if adequate, limited in scope. The videos and articles posted by advanced users help expand on that, as do our posts in the forums.

If anything, Cubase should respond and put out a data sheet on this subject. Since MPE has been adopted, it would be a good move on the company’s part to explain how it works in Cubase. If MPE functionality already exists in Cubase, a data-sheet about that would be helpful to “that next guy.” I’m “that next guy” on this subject and I’m sure lots of other readers here are. If MPE becomes a “buzz feature” on a lot of successful products, then helping Cubase users use it within Cubase would be a smart move and good business.

Posts here have provided information on this and that’s good, but a data-sheet on the adoption and what it meas for Cubase users would be welcome.

Thank you. At the very least. This topic should be discussed in depth (including its relationship to Note Expression and why NE is ‘better’) and thoroughly indexed in the Knowledgebase. It is not even mentioned. A mention in the manual, directing users to the KB would also not go amiss.

It also never fails to puzzle me why people so strenuously object to adding information to the manual. It’s not like adding info to the manual is like adding a feature to a product. It doesn’t take any engineering time or money. It can’t -hurt-, it can only -help-.

That is obviously false. Technical writers and engineers collaborate to produce documentation.

Sure. But I know something about this process. And unless their engineers are total cowboys, they already have a process for -writing- documentation as part of their coding. It is -not- a huge deal to put it into the customer facing docs. I’m sorry if this sounds impolite, but I did this work for many years so any remarks to the contrary are from people who simply do not know what they are talking about.

I take this rather personally because good documentation is the mark of great software and it’s something I pushed for rather hard when I was in the profession. It took a loooooong time to achieve better standards in that regard and it -has- become a standard in most companies. If you work in Silicon Valley or Seattle you -cannot- find a company that does not have tech writers working side by side with code writers and making docs to a -much- higher standard now.

Best.

Well, to be fair, adding even one line to the OM requires it be translated into all the languages and used consistently in the whole document. But, supplementary notes and usages tips would be very helpful. Thank goodness for youtube and S.O.S. etc. for some of that. MSE looks very cool. it takes a really good idea to make to adoption.

Good point! Didn’t even think of that.

I am about to purchase Cubase and need MPE editing for a Roli Seaboard.

I can’t afford Pro right now, so I’m deciding between Artist and Elements. ($300 vs $100). My needs are simple, and Elements can do what I want (I think) … right up to the question of MPE capture and editing …

In a comparison chart I see that Elements does NOT support Note Expression and Artist does.
Does this mean that Cubase Elements will not import MPE midi data from the Seaboard?

If Elements DOES receive MPE midi data, would I be able to click open a note and use pencil or other tools to edit MPE? As per this video, I fear MPE editing depends on Cubase Note Expression.

Slide forward to 5:30 to editing

Thank you,

::::: Opera :::::

You can record MPE data using Cubase Elements, but editing it afterwards is very, very awkward because it doesn’t have the Note Expression editor found in Cubase Artist and Pro. It’s the editor that shows up when you double click a note like what’s shown in that video.

Romantique,

So, with Elements, double-clicking a note does not bring up an editing window, then?

I might download Elements trial version and see how awkward “very very” is! Then, if this is a deal killer, purchase Artist instead.

Thank you for responding.

::::: Opera :::::

Note Expression would not be replaced by something that would break backwards compatibility with it. But it’s entirely possible that SB could be working on explicit support for MPE.

It has to be signed off by AMEI before anything can happen:

Thanks, I’d not read that. Not to stray from the OP’s topic on MPE, I was glad to learn about development of MIDI-CI (Capability Inquiry). MIDI-CI sounds really good and very much needed.

From the article:

The demonstration at the MMA Annual Meeting included “total recall” of Yamaha, Roland, and Korg hardware instrument settings using draft PE messages and Steinberg Cubase software.

Both developments sound excellent to me.

I’d surmise Note Expression and Expression Maps are here to say, and MPE and MIDI-CI will be added to what we already have.

FYI: Distributing Notes to Different Channels

You can distribute notes to different channels. This allows you to use the note expression functions, even if you do not have a VST 3 instrument.

Prerequisite
You have added a multi-timbral instrument, and assigned the same sound to different channels.

Procedure

1. In the > Inspector > for the corresponding MIDI track, open the > Channel > pop-up menu, and select > Any> .
  2. Select > MIDI > Note Expression > Distribute Notes to MIDI Channels> .

This works for MPE Synth as well.