Surround Audio Interface Shopping

I can NOT get the discreet 5.1 separation I’m looking for from my DA7 desk, which was actually designed with a 5.1 set of tools. So, reluctantly, I am now considering other options.

I’m just starting my research on surround audio interfaces. So many things obvious to you are not obvious to me at this point. All of my monitors (Equator & Mackie) are powered. So I can just connect my monitors to the interface directly, right?

I’ll need one that will allow me to switch back and forth between 2 stereo sets and and the 5.1 array instantly.

Other than that, I’d like to know from you guys what I should be looking for and more importantly, what I should be looking to avoid! What do you guys use? What kind of price to feature ratios are available. I’m seeing units at the $2K point and then others at $6K! :open_mouth: What do you get for the extra $4K? Any advice on this would be welcomed.

I use RME, but I would think any interface with 10 or more Discrete Outputs would work fine.

I say 10 because you mentioned 2 additional sets of monitors.
You might also need a dedicated headphone amp.

I’ll need one that will allow me to switch back and forth between 2 stereo sets and and the 5.1 array instantly.

This is built in to the Control Room in Cubase.

I have 3 sets of Monitors set up and also Headphones (as the 4th monitor so it shuts off the speakers when I select them).
Only the first set is 5.1.
Cubase applies a downmix to the others.
You can also setup independent processing (EQ, Delay per speaker, etc) for each set.
I also use Voxengo’s Bass management plug on the 5.1 set. This allows a lot of flexibility in what is sent to the Sub.

That’s it!

Hugh

UR28M Connected to 6 Yamaha studio monitors. About $3000… My personal favourite :sunglasses:

The voov soundsystem from 2001:p