Surround rear/front pan don't automate ...

Hi all,

I’m not by any means a regular poster on forums, but this time I thought I’d make an effort, hopefully to help people to not go through the same nightmare as me.

I was mixing this surround project, mixing the music for a feature film so long timeline and many tracks. And suddenly, right in the middle of the project, I noticed that the surround rear / front pan automation wasn’t working on some tracks. The automation buttons ( r and w ) were greyed out , and nothing I tried could change that: deleting the automation track, writing new automation, deleting the existing automation on the track …

I finally found the source of the problem : during this mix I was sometimes opening other projects , while the main project was open, to bring in clips into the main project. And it seems that activating the other project then reactivating the main project somehow messed up with things. So after that some tracks wouldn’t automate their surround rear / front pan.

After trying many things and wasting a lot of time, I finally found a simple solution : reassigning the output bus for the problematic tracks, ie. reselecting the correct output bus. The automation that had been written was still there and was working again …