Survey on the Performance of Steinberg DAWs

Mementostudio the problem has been fixed in Cubase 9.5.
Unfortunately Steinberg have decided that scrolling, zooming and locating the cursor is a music only feature and thus decided not to include the fix in the 8.1 Nuendo update.

Hi Olivier
Ok but I don’t have Cubase.

I’am not a sound Engeneer but a composer that need the functionality of Nuendo that Cubase do not have. (for example the monitoring section)
And I don’t think that scrolling is a music only feature…
I’am using the locators every time too…
Do we have to buy Cubase and wait to pay for Nuendo that it includes all the features that work ?

I heard things are better on the Mac (and PC) in C9.5…but to what extent I don’t know.
The proof will be being able to run the demo and load up my current session:)

But I’m not looking for just a ‘fix’…I’m looking for a next gen solution as sessions, plug-in and track counts are only going to get bigger and heavier.
I’ve heard people say it’s up to C7 speed again, which from my memory wasn’t stellar on the Mac to begin with (but okay).

I’d really like to hear how feasible a GPU accelerated GUI is.
Having worked in the gaming industry for the last 25 years with a team that has arguably created one of the most powerful and capable 3d engines in the industry (the Decima Engine), it is incredible to see what they’re able to coax out of a $300-400 dollar console with a 3 year old GPU.
Realtime global illumination, full 360 degree world rendering with advanced texturing, bump and specular mapping, fluid dynamics and voxel cloud rendering, you name it, running at 30 fps.

With that in mind, your average $100 nvidia or even AMD card should hardly break a sweat rendering a simple 2d GUI like Cubendo’s with some simple alpha transparency and anti-aliased line rendering and a whole bunch of parts (which would essnetially be 2 poly’s per part).
It should manage to do so at 60fps easily.
Considering that the GPU is generally doing nothing when Cubendo runs, other than OS redraws it seems like a wasted opportunity.

And yes, I’m fully aware that there’s more to it; sometimes the code to decide what to draw (and what not) and manage the data to get it on screen can be heavier than the actual drawing code itself, but the GPU would still assist in the drawing, and that in itself could be a huge boost to performance.

I would love to hear from SB whether they’ve done any research or testing in this area…

I found one source of extreme sluggishness in the Nuendo GUI. It has to do with folders.

When I have 200 tracks without folders, the arrangement window works OK. Scrolling is still very imprecise and annoying but performance at least is usable. But when I start putting only a couple of tracks into a folder and collapse the folder so the lanes are displayed in this “Event Data” that appears, it gets veeeeery slow very very quickly. I have 10 tracks each in 8 folders and zooming comes down to a crawl. It’s completely unusable that way. I hope this is another hint to help you find the right spot for further optimization.

As a workaround I can hide the Event Data, but I think that’s not the point. If I cannot display Event Data from a couple of tracks in folders, then why is this feature even there as it makes no sense at all.

Unfortunately this can only be part of the problem, I have seen the problem in a session with only 15 audio tracks and no automation/plugins at all.