sustain pedal cc11

hi ,

I’ve searched the forum but can;t figure out how to get my sustain pedal to send cc11. I just got EWQL Hollywood Strings and got the pedal set up,and it works when playing it in but cubase does;t record any data from the pedal,the mod wheel data records fine. If somebody could spell it out for me I’d really appreciate it,I’ve tried to figure it out with the manual but no success.Any help would be great.

thanks,

Grant

I think you will get a problem when trying so: a sustain pedal knows 2!! states: under 64(off) and over 64 (on). CC11 is a continuous controller knowing all 127 single midi steps. A sustain pedal though cannot produce those steps. So I cannot imagine what you could want to do with a sustain pedal here. What you need would be a so called expression pedal which looks similar to a wahwah pedal and can send all steps of the midi range (1-127).

Exactly. Sustain pedal is On/Off only. You have to use continual pedal, which is CC11. Then, you can change data from MIDI CC11 to different MIDI CC, if you want, in Cubase.

Hi,
My bad, I didn’t mean sustain pedal, it’s an m-audio
Ex-p pedal with an oxygen 61 keyboard.

Thanks,
G

Hi,

But the Oxygen 61 (3th generation; the blue one) has Sustain Pedal input only. So it can sends On/Off, either if you are using Expression Pedal (CC11). So, we are back in the same problem.

hi,

Really? What a drag! Mine isn;t the blue one,it’s black,but it’s the 3rd gen one. Can I cc11 to the pitch wheel?Any recommendations of lower priced midi key boards that will work with the expression pedal?

thanks,

Grant

Hi,

In fact, you can map any CC to different one in Cubase. Use MIDI Insert Modifier. But I’m afraid, Pitch Bend is not the right one for this. This is because of central default value. CC11 has default value 127. If you would like to use Pitch Bend Wheel, you have to leave your finger on it for whole time. Because the wheel goes back to center automaticly.

All pedal inputs should be mark, if this is Sustain/Switch, or Expression/continual on the keyboard.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the help. I’ll try one of the faders for c11.
I don’t understand the last part about them having to be"mark",What
Does it mean?
Thanks again,
Grant

Of all the lower priced keyboard controllers on the market, there are actually surprisingly few that have expression pedal inputs. I bought a Roland A-800 61 key which has one, but eventually I really wanted an 88-note hammer action keyboard, So I bought a digital piano ( a Casio Privia - actually sounds and plays very well for the price), and use a Steinberg CMC-QC to control modulation and expression (it has 8 knobs which can be assigned to anything). Unfortunately it is not a foot controller, but it is nice and compact and works well. I needed an expression controller for the Sample Modeling brass plugins, which won’t function without one.

hi,

would it be possible to use a usb adapter for the M-audio EX-P pedal and assign c-11 to it as a separate midi controller?

thanks again,

Grant

maybe something like this:

possible?

thanks,
G

No, that USB interface handles audio only, not MIDI.
But what you suggest is possible, using a different MIDI interface (but much more expensive, unfortunately)…
MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller; Continuous MIDI Data Generator is an interface that converts your incoming expression pedal into MIDI data, but unfortunately, the interface’s own output is MIDI, not USB, so, because your Oxygen doesn’t even offer a MIDI merge input, you’d then need a 2nd adapter, to convert that MIDI into USB (M-Audio do offer one… the UNO-1X1).
You might indeed eventually be better off, looking for a different keyboard, with a continuous controller pedal input, but they all seem to be around the $450 mark.

(Make what you will of the following! :slight_smile: )… There is another M_Audio keyboard, the Keystation 88es, which I’ve just seen at musiciansfriend.com for $220, where, although the manual for it (on the M-Audio website), specifies only a sustain pedal input (i.e. like the keyboard you have already), the screenshot of the back of that keyboard clearly shows a “volume” input also (and is listed in the details from Musician’s Friend)…
Understanding Wattage, Speaker Efficiency, and Amplifier "Loudness" - The Hub (click on the 4th image)

hi,

thanks for the help! Someone else recommended the 88 es so I think I’ll check that out,it’s also semi weighted so probably feels a little better than the oxygen 61.

thanks again,

G

Make sure you get confirmation from the vendor about the expression pedal input, before parting with your money :wink:.

ya,it looks like it works but not flawlessly,you have to re assign c-11 to the pedal every time you turn the keyboard back on and you lose the vol slider as well,may be stuck with the slider for expression for now.

thnx
G

Does it, by default, send CC#07 (volume)? If so, you could leave it like that, at the keyboard, and use Cubase’s Input Transformer, to convert CC#7 into CC#11.

I’ll check around to see if that would work,may be a solution.

thanks!
G