Swapping voices - notes disappearing

Basically, I have two voices and a tied note that extends over the duration of the second voice on measure 2 (figure 1).

In my example, swapping voices in any measure using the Swapping Voice Contents menu item clears either the whole measure, of one of the voices. Using V does not have the issue.

Toy example

Swapping voices in measure 1

Swapping voices in measure 2

Swapping voices in measure 3

What would happen if you selected both voices and used Paste Special > Swap?

Truth is, I’m not entirely clear what you are trying to accomplish since there could be more than one possibility.

What would happen if you selected both voices and used Paste Special > Swap ?

Nothing

Truth is, I’m not entirely clear what you are trying to accomplish since there could be more than one possibility.

I just wanted to swap voices in my actual score, because of inconsistencies that need to be fixed, nothing else. Like I said, I could fix my layout using the ‘V’ shortcut or even assigning a specific voice, but I accidentally found a bug with the Edit > Voices > Swap Voice Contents functionality and wanted to share.

The documentation state that one should not select just one voice, but it does not prevent us to do so.

I realize that in my toy example, there is really only one situation going on. In every case, only one voice is selected. Clicking measure 2, to select the whole measure, does not select the whole note in voice #1. I get that it’s because it is tied to a note from measure 1, (I still don’t fully understand the selection behaviour in Dorico, but that’s fine). Had it been a dotted half note (for example), there would have been a silence at the end of measure 2; that silence would be part of the selection, thus 2 voices would have been selected (the 2-voice selection requirement fulfilled). However, the result would not be as expected (due to how the selection works).

Here’s measure 2 in the modified example

Measure 2 again, after clicking on it to select the notes:

Here is the expected output after swapping the voices the way I intended:

Here is what I get if I swap (either through ‘V’ or using the menu item)

If you only select material in one voice when you choose Swap Voice Contents, Dorico shouldn’t do anything. We’ll make sure this gets fixed up in future.

2 Likes

For the sake of completeness, having anything else than 2 voices in the selection (1 voice, or 3+ voices) makes notes disappear.

At the risk of appearing flippant. “Swap” (linguistically) requires two of something, no more and no less.

It would make more sense if the Swap command was disabled unless there was an eligible selection … But I know that’s not going to happen.

1 Like

It would make more sense if the Swap command was disabled unless there was an eligible selection …

That was pretty much my point.

But I know that’s not going to happen.

I have full confidence in Dorico’s team to handle this in a future version