Swing indications using system text

It’s on the GitHub download page, GitHub - fkretlow/metrico: Font for metric equations in music notation.

If you want to do something else, just experiment :slight_smile:

I can only see a description of what Metrico is on the github page, not how to integrate it with Dorico so I can use the tempo indications like ee=3qe.

It’s just a font. Google instructions on how to install a font on whatever operating system you’re using.

Wonder wether I could create a macro to (for example):

• Start system text entry (Shift-X)
  • Change font to Metrico
  • Enter ee=3qe

Tried to record this, but it doesn’t work.

No, I don’t think you can do this, I’m afraid, because Dorico won’t record the changes you make within the text editor as separate commands that will be “seen” by the macro recorder.

When Dorico’s scripting can’t deliver what you’re after, it’s worth trying with Keyboard Maestro. In this particular case you can get KM to record a macro that works and as one of the fields is Text entry you can copy and adapt it for other swing indications.

Thanks to Daniel and David

Thanks to Dan and Florian for this thread and font! :smiley:

Thank you so much Florian, it works like a charm… on a Mac !!

Thank you! It’s much better than the work around I wasn’t proud of (a second flow with rhythmic notation on a snare drum part…)

Also, MusGlyphs now supports pretty much all tempo equations and metric modulations. MusGlyphs.com

2 Likes

@colors I feel like this should be happening automatically upon entering a swing tempo mark. Would make this all much easier.

Maybe when you choose one of the 2:1 or 3:1 “fixed” options, yes. But there’s a reason that those are a separate category from light/medium/heavy swing—those are a lot more nuanced than can be conveyed with just a tempo equation. At the risk of sounding gatekeepy, players who need reminding that swing approximates triplets won’t be able to swing anyway :wink: As far as I understand it’s a bit of an outdated practice.

So what’s the more common practice? Just writing “swing” with regular text? I’ve seen some example of sheet using this tempo indication but I don’t know maybe it is out of date…

Anyway regarding the issue of the playback setting being more nuanced than the direction on the sheet music- you’re probably right. But I think it can be solved if one of the properties of the swing tempo mark will be “how to render it visibly” (with one of the options being “nothing”). This way I will be able to switch this on / off with a switch of a button.

I’ll defer to the actual jazz musicians on this forum but yes, just the word Swing as the tempo text will suffice. Of course it’s nice to have the option but, in the words of Courtney McNally, from her In the Pocket Guide to Drum Notation:

8 Likes

Thanks for the information! I’ll keep that in mind.
The thing is my particular song is not exactly for jazz musician but happened to have a swing rhythm :sweat_smile: Anyway I guess you’re right that writing “swing” should be enough unless it’s an enducation context.

Thank you for all your work Dan and Florian. Quite useful!
Dear Florian, could I drop another request? Perhaps you’ll find the time for it.
Along with the ee=3qe I also have instances where I could use something like the attached image. Does that make sense? (Or perhaps people would figure out that those notes would also have a swing sense to them. It’s non-professionals though, regular primary school teachers, that would read the music to children’s songs used to teach English as a secondary language…)
swing-indicator-8th-4th-8th

Welcome to the forum, Dana!

That marking is rather complex and hard to read. After I studied it for a bit I realized it is the same information as the usual marking {2 eighths = triplet quarter + eighth}.

I usually like to write “swing” plus a pair of the notes, beamed. They’re almost always eighths, but it clarifies, especially for non-jazz musicians.

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your answer.
Yeah, I write ‘swing’ in front of it as well, plus the ‘usual marking’. I wanted to add this one to that indication. But maybe it’s not necessary and it being complex, as you point out, might not serve my purpose to clarify further then :wink:

Especially if you are expecting primary school teachers (and by implication, the kids) to interpret this correctly!