Switch from Cubase 6.5 to Cubase 11

Hello everyone,

I guess this isn’t the first and won’t be the last topic about it…so please apologise if it sounds like repetitive topic, I’m literally new to the Forum. :ugeek:

I’d like to know a few things about installing Cubase 11 upgrade (I’m currently using 6.5).

1) Once purchased, I suppose I am able to download the software from “MySteinberg” area. Now, I’ve got the e-Licences plugged to my Windows10 pc. I guess that during the installation the wizard will pick the info from the e-licences automatically, correct?

2) Once installation will be successfully done, I’ve read via other topics in this forum that I can also decide to keep Cubase 6.5 on my pc anyway (not really planning to but maybe only for the first month of testing).
Now, my point is: will the new installation overwrite all VST folders? I will do a backup of every VST/VST Plugins folders I’ve got, just in case. But, do you know if Cubase 11 will automatically detect the previous VST folder or will it create a new empty VST folder where I will then drag and drop the previously backed-up 64bit VSTs/plugins?

3) It goes without saying that music project in .cpr format will be open without issues with Cubase 11. Only thing to keep in mind could be that some new plugins/features on Cubase 11 might not be supported/read by Cubase 6.5, should I need to open the new project with Cubase 6.5… are you aware of what features have been removed in the last few years or is there a dedicated online support guide I can check myself to see this?

Thank you so much to whoever will be so kind to help me out.

1. No. The license doesn’t matter for installation; only during actual use.

2. Every X.0 and X.5 version of Cubase is a totally independent installation. Installing a newer version does not delete anything from earlier installations. It does at times copy stuff from the previous installation to use with the new - but I think it will only look back a few versions, so I’d expect it won’t from 6.5. Cubase will know about plug-ins that are in its own folders. For 3rd party plugs in other folders Cubase 11 knew where mine were by looking at my C10.5 setup. But because you are making such a large version jump I doubt that will happen. But it is easy to set manually in the Plug-in Manager - you can just enter the paths to wherever you put the plugs in the first place. No need to move them at all. But remember only 64-bit plugs are supported anymore. Some folks use JBridge so they can keep old 32-bit plugs (I’m more in the move on and leave 'em behind camp). While you can delete C6.5 just fine I don’t recommend it because there may be situations where having it available is useful (see 3 below). On my DAW I have the last 9 versions still installed starting at 7.5. The programs themselves without additional content don’t take much space & removing them takes work while leaving them doesn’t - so I choose less unnecessary work.

3. Cubase is pretty good with both forwards and backwards compatibility. If you open a C11 Project in C8 it will open fine, C11 only stuff won’t exist of course. But if you save that in C8 and then open it in C11 you’ll find the C11 only stuff is still there. Older versions basically ignore new features they don’t understand. But it goes the other way too C6.5 has plugs and VSTi’s that C11 doesn’t. One key reason to keep C6.5 is you may find an older Project has Tracks that won’t play right because of an obsolete plug or VSTi or other feature mismatch between versions. The classic way to resolve this is to open the Project in C6.5, where it plays correctly, and render the Track to audio. Then use this audio in C11.

Thank you so much indeed for taking the time to answer! It’s all perfectly clear now, thank you again Raino! :mrgreen: