Switch from MacPro to PC

Hi guys,

I would like to ask if someoone here has switched from Mac to PC for Cubase Pro and if there are any good learnings to think about before/during and after the transition?

Is it enough to fullfill the specs for a PC on Steinberg’s page or are there any optimum ways, e.g. the Cubase Pro 8 runs best on Windows 7 etc?!?

I was thinking running Windows 7, 64Gb RAM, 4xSSD disks…

So I would be happy if anyone here could help me to get this process right?

Br
Alex

It’s run perfectly for me on Win 7, 8 and 10. I’d definitely go for Win 10 personally because I just find it a nicer, more refined OS and I believe it runs a little more efficiently as well.

I’m a former Mac user as well by the way (Well I’m still a current Mac user actually but just not in my studio). Not sure if you are talking about a custom built PC but if you really want to be 100% safe, it might be wise to use a hardware configuration that is already proven to run nicely with Cubase. There are various websites where you can find out what CPU/Motherboard etc other users are running successfully. e.g. this forum, or gearslutz.com but as long as you use quality components and know how to set everything up you should be fine.

Thanks J-S-Q!

I have looked into Asus-99X (or Z170-a) with an i7 processor…your setup sounds very good as well. Are there any price/performance smart buys on the processor?

I have not been on Windows since version 7, so its good to know that 10 delivers good performance!

Br
Alex

Honestly I’m no PC hardware expert so can’t tell you exactly what is the best buy in 2016. Last time I researched all this was when I built my current machine (Second time I’ve built one). It’s been very solid but I built it about two years ago and there will be better options now depending on what your budget is. Both my builds have been with Intel i7’s and Gigabyte motherboards.

I’d start a thread at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers There are usually a few people there with good knowledgeable advice on this subject.

Might also be worth reading the more recent parts of this thread (although it’s very long and convoluted!):

RE: Windows/Mac, the only thing I really dislike about Windows is the search functionality. It’s way slower than on Mac. Cubase runs great though and I feel you get more bang for your buck with Cubase on Windows than Mac.