Hello. I recently upgraded to a different system running Windows 7 64-bit, and as I am used to the Mac OSX GUI I’ve noticed at least a few changes. (I am using Cubase 6.0.7, the last non .5 version)
Yes, I’ve searched the forums but I don’t seem to be able to find any discussion regarding this:
On Windows Cubase is divided into multiple window frames. The outermost window has all of the file, edit, etc. options. This window behaves as expected. (smooth movement, no tearing, etc.) Any other window that I place in front of the main background window behaves in a very glitchy way. That is, the window (and this applies especially to the project/track view) moves very sluggishly when I click and drag it, and the very top header of the window seems to tear/fade in and out of the background. The window also ghosts a little bit/moves behind where the mouse cursor is. --laggy
I suspect that this is partly due to old code being buggy and especially so on newer hardware. I made sure to set my more powerful GPU as the global main GPU, I turned off all transparencies (the inner windows aren’t transparent anyway), and I turned off all power saving features. I also set a v-sync option in my GPU’s control panel.
All I have been able to find regarding a similar issue is that there was at one point a bug in the mixer window that slowed everything.
I cannot upgrade my version of Cubase right now, so that’s not an option. I prefer having a unified window where the file, edit, etc. options are just on the front window (no slow-down then), but the original multi-window setup appears if I open vst instruments or new windows. I tried taking a screenshot, but I can’t capture the tearing, which indicates that something weird is happening. Also the click + drag selection window sometimes doesn’t seem to draw on time. hmm
Does anyone know how I might fix this issue or–if that is impossible–remedy it with a different permanent project window setup and some keyboard shortcuts?
I’m looking forward to a response.
Also, yes I tried the manual. I don’t think that it will help as much as user experience.
I am going to list the GPU settings in case any of them are related to the issue:
Some will be irrelevant.
Ambient Occlusion – off
Anisotropic filtering --application-controlled
Antialiasing-FXAA – off
Antialiasing-Mode – application-controlled
Antialiasing-Setting – application-controlled
Antialiasing-Transparency – off
Buffer-flipping mode – auto-select
CUDA - GPUs – All (my only main GPU so this cannot change)
Enable overly – off
Exported pixel types – Color indexed overlays (8 bpp)
Max pre-rendered frames – use the 3D application setting
Memory Allocation Policy – as needed
Multi-frame samples AA (MFAA) – off
Multi-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration – multiple display performance mode
OPENGL rendering GPU – Auto-select
Optimize for sparse texture performance – none
power management mode – NVIDIA driver-controlled
Shader Cahce – on
Stereo-Display mode – custom
Stereo-Enable – off
Stereo-Swap eyes – off
Stereo-swap mode – Application
Threaded optimization – Auto
Triple buffering – Off
Vertical sync – On
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames – 1