Switching to Straight Mid-Bar to Affect Playback

In a composition I’m working on, a bar switches from swing to straight eighths mid-bar. I noticed that this switch does not affect playback of the second half of the bar. However, if I put a hidden time signature to make the swing section actually in a new bar, the playback is affected:

Is there a way to hide the barline so that while in the software the swing section is a new measure, in engraving it looks like it stays in 4/4?

Maybe this will help, if you don’t use dashed barlnes.

But I think the reason Dorico was able to switch from straight to swing eighths was because the barline was mechanically there. That solution suggested makes everything one giant measure, so playback wouldn’t be able to switch between swing and straight.

I was surprised that swing could not take effect mid-measure, since tempo changes can, but when I tried the experiment, swing tempo did not implement until the measure following the signpost. Is the reason for that tied up with time signatures as well as tempo, or was there just an assumption that no one would want to switch to or from swing mid-measure?

Why not just add an invisible barline there? Use a dash and set the dash length to zero.

I’m not trying to do it; I was just curious whether a mid-measure switch could be a solution. Apparently not (yet).

That will not help. Dorico needs there to actually be a new measure for a feel change to take effect. You are suggesting how to make it look like there’s a new measure when there isn’t, when I’m trying to make it look like there’s no new measure when there is.

No, Dan’s suggesting a barline that creates a new bar, but with settings that prevent that barline from being visible.

3 Likes

How do I change these settings? Where are they?

Nevermind, I figured it out. That worked!!! Thank you so much!

The only drawback is that the invisible barline still clears out a little space around itself, which messes up the note spacing a little. Easily fixed in Engrave Mode, though.