Sync Dorico customizations via Dropbox?

@PaulWalmsley Your post inspired me to give it another try. It turned out to be a nightmare.

EDIT: Detailed story removed for brevity.

For any beginners like me who read this: long story short, if you’re on macOS, when prompted to enter your admin password for SourcreTree to access stored credentials on Keychain, click on “Allow” - not “Always Allow”.

The latter may cause the CPUs to completely max out.

According to this forum post, in the background, Sourcetree gets stuck in a loop asking Keychain Access for credentials (even when the Sourcetree app is no longer running). When this happened to me, I deleted Sourcetree and the CPU meters immediately went down to normal.

Sorry to hear you’re having problems with it. Things are generally easier using HTTP rather than SSH (I haven’t needed to use the SSH protocol for rather a while).

You might find a different client works better for you. I’m a massive fan of Fork (https://fork.dev/), or some people like the Github Desktop Client (which is very simple and hides a lot of the complexity that you won’t need).

EDIT: I went back to SourceTree and got HTTPS access working. So I’m deleting the part of this post which was about setting up the GitHub desktop client. As long as you don’t click on “Always Allow”, Sourcetree works fine.

Now that I’m not using SSH (I removed the key from my Bitbucket account), is there anything I should do on my computer to disable it, like delete the ssh-config file?

Thanks, @PaulWalmsley !

Great to hear you’ve made some headway. You can leave the ssh files as they are – no need to remove them.

@PaulWalmsley Alas, that success was with a repo I’d already gotten running with SourceTree. I haven’t figured out how to do your procedure with GitHub Desktop, as it seems to work much differently from SourceTree.

EDIT: I went back to SourceTree and it works fine. I’m deleting the rest of this post, which was about how GitHub desktop works differently from Sourcetree, and I was unable to figure it out.

Create a file named “. gitignore” and add the files you do not want. Everything specified in this file will be ignored when committing files.

1 Like

Thanks, @JuergenP !

I switched back to SourceTree and started over. So far, things are going well.

I couldn’t get SourceTree to create a remote version while creating the Dorico 4 repository, so I manually created the dorico_config repo on the Bitbucket site. This automatically created ReadMe and .gitignore files. I had problems pulling those down to my computer, so ended up deleting them from Bitbucket (after first downloading them) and then manually adding the .gitignore file locally.

Next, I manually edited .gitignore to include the Dorico files I wanted ignored.

So far, so good. Next step is to connect my laptop.

It’s annoying to have to enter my password in SourceTree with every push, but choosing “Allow” instead of “Always Allow” prevents the CPU-draining loop I mentioned a couple posts back.

I did more searches about that, and the problem has been around for years! Not a huge deal, since I won’t be doing this very often.

@PaulWalmsley Almost there. The problem is that when I try to clone the repo from Bitbucket to my laptop (as per the last step in your procedure above), Sourcetree says:

The destination path /Users/bobkarty/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 4 already exists and is not an empty folder. Please choose an empty or new folder into which to clone.

What to do?

I think it is telling you that you don’t want to clone a repo into where you already have Dorico files - that it is preventing you from wiping them out and maybe hurting yourself. In the top of this thread they were talking about creating symbolic links to the repo - I.E: that the repo was created elsewhere on your machine in a different directory but a sym link to that directory was created for Dorico to use?

Sym links are a completely separate approach to sharing the files - they have nothing to do with Git.

With sym links, I placed the settings files in Dropbox, created symbolic links on each machine to those files, and placed the sym links in the Dorico application support folders.

I have now removed all the sym links.

I understand why SourceTree won’t clone the repo; I’m hoping Paul (or another git expert) will chime in since I’m following the procedure he posted earlier in this thread.

You shouldn’t need to type the password every time. In sourcetree’s settings there’s an Accounts section where you can login to your bitbucket account once (I haven’t used Sourcetree in quite a while, so I don’t remember exactly where that is).

The error about the non-empty directly is because you already have an existing Dorico 4 directory on that machine. So I would suggest renaming it (‘Dorico 4.old’) and running the clone again. If there are any settings on your laptop that you want to keep you can copy them across into the cloned Dorico 4 directory and commit/push them.

1 Like

The problem is that SourceTree apparently uses Apple’s Keychain to store login credentials. When I open SourceTree and each time I do a push, Keychain prompts me to enter my admin password so SourceTree can access the saved credentials. As I described in a previous post, if I click “Always Allow” (instead of “Allow”), this triggers an issue in which the securityd process maxes out the CPU. This problem has been around for years, apparently (see link in my earlier post). I had the problem on my Mac Studio but haven’t tried “Always Allow” on my laptop. As long as you stick with “Allow”, there’s no problem.

Done! It worked! (HTTPS login is also working fine now.)

I really appreciate the help, Paul!

1 Like