syncing Reason 6.5 to Cubase 6.5

I have just upgraded Reason 6.5.3 but can not get Reason to play through or sync with cubase 6.5 (host app).

1. In Cubase 6.5, I can select the Reason Rewire option under Devices and then enable the inputs (blue).

2. Then I open Reason (as both manuals say I should), but when I go to Options/sync in Reason, the Rewire is greyed out.

I have tried changing all kinds of preferences in Reason but there does not seem to be any way to get it working.

Cubase support is totally hopeless - they take an average of about 2 weeks to respond (not 48 hours), and when they do they have not understood they problem and give no solution, so hoping someone can help me from the forum.

Technical details:
CUBASE 6.5.4 (32BIT)
REASON 6.5.3

Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Not sure what your experience is, whether you’ve had it working before or whether this is a first…
You shouldnt have to change any preferences in Reason… once you’ve started cubase, then started reason and they both startup ok… you should be fine…
Then once you’ve enabled reason inputs in Cubase->Devices->Reason ReWire …
you should be able to assign the reason devices to midi tracks in cubase… click a midi track to highlight it, then the reason devices you’ve set up should appear in the inspector output dropdown…
In terms of syncing the 2, starting and stopping cubase or reason should start the other… things such as tempo should be the same and you can adjust them on either, each affecting the other…

hope that helps

1. To get reason to run and sync via cubase, MAKE SURE THAT CUBASE and REASON both are running in 32bit - on a mac go to app icon and get info.
  2. Open cubase project, enable Reason inputs, then open reason.
  3. Don’t for get to go back to 64 bit mode after bouncing any reason Audio to Cubase.