Syncopation fail?

Hello experts…

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the tied quavers in the middle of the bass in the simple example here - I want a crotchet (quarter note) same as all the others…

I’ve played with all the notation flags, and then it dawned on me that actually, the tie is NOT across the middle of the bar, it’s one beat earlier…

I don’t understand!

I’m running Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045

Thanks!

You’ll want to use Force Duration for this. Press O and then enter the durations exactly as desired.

That’s exactly what I also tried - I’ve used it successfully before, but changing the one note destroyed all the others!

Have a look…

It’s really odd… The beaming isn’t correct, it’s on the off-beat, and all those notes changed - I only forced the duration of one…

Any idea why it tied an arbitrary beat in my original post, not the middle of the bar?

It’s working for me as expected. I suspect the 8/4 is something Dorico doesn’t exactly know what to do with, and it’s also possible you’ve mixed up the Force Duration property of various notes. You might try deleting Downstem Voice 1 and re-entering it, using Force Duration from the start rather than trying to retrofit it.

Thanks Dan - I’ve now applied Force Duration to every note in Downstem Voice 1 as I re-entered it (instead of entering crotchets and trying to fix only the broken one).

It’s OK now.

That was really weird, but thanks - I have a way forward now…

I suspect the time signature is causing some note grouping confusion for Dorico to sort out. I’ve been stymied by the differences in grouping from 4/4 to Cut time… and you should see what happens with 7/2. (Perhaps some of this could be sorted by using some combination of (3+2+2/2), or something similar. I haven’t totally grokked the implications or best uses of additive time signatures yet…) :unamused:

Thanks for the extra info - I chose 8/4 precisely because I felt 4/2 might lead me astray :slight_smile:

As you can see, I’ve managed a solution, which got me there 12 hours after I needed the example for a lesson I was giving!