I have a section in an orchestra score with lengthy instructions for the string players, and it takes up an incredible amount of room by appearing in every string section! Is there a way to make them appear only at the top of the string group in the score while appearing in all the parts? I’ve printed parts to PDF, so I may just delete the instructions from all but the 1st violins, but I’m wondering about this for future reference.
Text items (whether System Text or Staff Text) have a “Hide” property.
- Make sure View > Signposts > Text is turned on (or that signposts in general are turned on, at the top of that menu).
- Put the lengthy instruction wherever you want it to show.
- Ensure that the “Set local properties” switch at the top right corner of the Properties Panel is set to “Locally”.
- Select your lengthy instruction and Alt-click it to one of the other string staves.
- Find and switch on its “Hide” property. It should now show in the score as a pinkish signpost.
- Alt-click the pink signpost to all the other string staves.
Much quicker to do than to type…
I think what cellonancy wants is a one-click method without such an operational flow. As a long-term Finale user, I also miss this kind of feature.
Thanks for the quick response, it saved the day! I had used the Hide button before, but in another context and had forgotten all about it…