System Space Question

I know this is an often asked topic but I didn’t quite got along with it. I tried with the vertikal space etc…
And switched the non-colliding button on…

What I would like to have is more space where the syastemtrennzeichen is shown and less space between the systems inside one bracket/accolade.

Is this generally programmable or do I have do it manually?

Thanx for man advice

Are you able to share this project, or a copy of it that just contains these players/this layout? So we can check what settings you have set currently and suggest others perhaps.

Are there spaces/line breaks in the divisi groip name, perhaps?

Sprechchor.dorico.zip (960.0 KB)

Here it is , as far as I understand it , I didn’t use division options. Thanx

You can increase the Inter-system gap in Layout Options, and then I think you should untick the avoid collutions in the properties panel for the 2X text.

Jesper

The two “2x” text objects didn’t have collision avoidance deactivated, so they were causing the extra vertical space between staves on those systems.

In Engrave mode, if you choose Staff Spacing in the toolbox on the left, you can see the frame fullness indicator - in your project, that was showing the first page was 114% full. On very full pages, Dorico’s spacing won’t be quite as good because things are stretched. So, deactivating collision avoidance for those 2x text objects helps a lot, as does flipping text objects properly (like the “Ausatmen” at the beginning - if you want text to appear below the staff, change its placement first, then adjust its position from there - otherwise Dorico allocates vertical space on the assumption that the text “should” be above the staff, whereas perhaps it actually fits better below).

If you don’t need the Copyright text frame at the bottom of the first page, delete it and use the space for the music frame to give yourself extra height on that page.

Here’s your project back with those changes, plus I decreased the music frame and page margins at the top and bottom a bit. I also assigned the “Silence” playback template to make it smaller when attaching here on the forum.

Sprechchor_LH.dorico (407.1 KB)

(Edit: and actually, putting the last system on the first page onto the second page produces what looks to me like a more balanced result - so bar 17 is at the top of p2)

1 Like

Thanx a lot, very kind!!

So, deactivating collision avoidance for those 2x text objects helps a lot

I couldn’t find the property panel for that…where is it exactly?

as does flipping text objects properly (like the “Ausatmen” at the beginning

what do you mean by properly? I just know to place it in write mode

Again thanx a lot

Deactivating collision avoidance - it’s available in Engrave mode (this was already done for other text objects, so I assumed you’d come across it already).

Flipping - see changing the staff-relative placement. This applies to most items, but you can also use the Placement property in the corresponding group in the Properties panel. You can of course drag them graphically in Engrave mode, but if you want it below the staff, change its placement first. The vertical spacing calculations will be better then even if you subsequently nudge it around in Engrave mode.

this was already done for other text objects, so I assumed you’d come across it already

Hu, I didn’t use it at all :slight_smile:

Thank you