Systems collapse when I remove rest

I have “remove rest” bound to a hotkey, and it usually works just fine. But at one point in the score I’m working on, if I remove a rest, all the systems collapse. What could be causing that? Dropbox - EraseRest.gif - Simplify your life

It’s in the vocal score layout if I remove the rest in the tenor or bass part of bar 29. Dropbox - Schubert Mass in C.dorico - Simplify your life

(Incidentally, does anyone know why when I try to insert an image on the forum I get the error “It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify the URL you entered is correct”?)

Your image has to be less than 700 (600?) pixels wide.

Thanks - that’s one problem solved, at least! :slight_smile:

You’ve got some very large staff spacing adjustments applied in that frame. Switch to the staff spacing tool in Engrave mode, select any handle on that page, and choose Engrave > Staff Spacing > Reset Selected Frames.

I need the staff spacing adjustments, though (I need the system and page breaks to be in the same place as an out-of-print - and out-of-copyright - edition a choir is using), and they took a while to set up. Resetting the frame undoes them all. Ok, I can do them again, but is Dorico supposed to behave like that?

(Although it might be easier just to put the soloists on the ensemble parts and simply scale them down, rather than using cues which I can’t seem to get working well with rests anyway.)

You should be able to achieve the same casting off as the original edition without big staff spacing adjustments. Try casting off the music with breaks and then try to use global changes to e.g. distances between staves or justification on the Vertical Spacing page of Layout Options, or consider slightly modifying the default note spacing values or staff size values, before you start moving systems around.

It’s obviously a bit unexpected that removing a rest could have such a big effect, but if an edit pushes the justification over one threshold or another you can end up with some larger than expected changes resulting from small edits.