Tab-key quirk: is this on the radar to be solved sometime?

I’ve been used to this for years, but it actually takes a lot of extra time when editing my music, and I’m actually not sure if the problem is known. The tab key can sometimes be very useful to select an entire chord when one note is selected, or to select other objects such as dynamics at the place of your selection. But when the music gets more complex, this stops working. Often when I press tab, a chord or a dynamic in another instrument is selected, for example. As a result, I very often have to zoom in and grab the mouse to continue just where I was actually working. Is this problem known to the team and is it something that is intended to be fixed in a future version?

You can use Select More (Shift Command A) for that. Or just click on the stem.

I’m not sure that TAB is designed for selecting an entire chord: but it is for selecting different objects at the same rhythmic position.

If you’ve got a specific example of where something goes wrong, then you’ll need to show exactly what it is, and the steps to reproduce it.

No, but when it cycles back around to the notes, the entire chord is selected. If there are no other objects at that position, the entire chord is selected.

That’s right. At least it should. Often, instead, it cycles through things on other staves and doesn’t come back to the original stave. I’ve tried a lot to create a minimal example, but the problem is that the behaviour is inconsistent. It starts happening after working in a file for a while, and I think always in larger/more complex pieces. Sometimes it is solved by restarting Dorico.

If anyone else is experiencing this, they may know what triggers it. Or maybe Daniel can say if this is known? I always assumed it was a known quirk. If not, I will try harder to create a consistently working example.

That’s nice and it always works, but it doesn’t trigger playback of the chord, which often makes it not as helpful as the tab key.

Please, no

I’ve not encountered the problem you describe, Maarten, so if you have a reproducible example, I would be happy to take a look and see what might be going on.