Tape Machine Style Monitoring?

Hi. I can’t seem to locate the tape machine style monitoring option in the preferences of cubase 7.5 … what am i missing? thanks!

Away from my computer atm, but I believe it’s in the VST section of the preferences.

Checked there. I didn’t see that. Im on a mac. Thanks.

Basically what want to do is hear an insert effect during recording, and kill monitor (speaker icon) during playback. Want this done automatically. Suggestions? Thanks.

1 Like

As above

Preferences, VST, Auto Monitoring, set this to tapemachine style. Also make sure direct Monitoring is not checked in the device setup if you want to use insert effects during recording.

I am on a PC but think it’s the same on a Mac.

1 Like

weird. i totally could not find it in the vst panel last night. today it’s there via a drop down menu. also my mbox 3 pro’s direct monitoring in the setup device section is grayed out. but thank you! it is working for now.

http://postimg.org/image/hwu8d4o4t/

You’re looking not in THESE preferences. Preferences where also Key commands are (under File drop-down menu)

cheers

trito

Operating Manual Pg. 118

1 Like

Thanks i figured it out. Seems i keep looking at the two options under VST in preferences, but never in VST itself.

If it helps… there have been several F/Rs for a ‘Search’ function in Prefs. You may want to vote on that in the F/R forum. It’s not exactly laid out in the most logical manner anymore.

1 Like

Search function in Prefs? Seriously? There is not that much there…

Sorry, IMO that would be a waste of programming. Maybe a description of what everything in preferences does in the ‘manual’ as well as how to reset prefs in safe mode. Not a friggen search engine. Jeez man, it not that tough to figure out.

Just sayin. It only takes a Google search and a minute to find the answers to most questions. Here, maybe a day or so till someone gives the answer.

Just to clarify, I googled before posting here. My search led to the keywords tape machine style, but didn’t show me where it could be found. I’m reading the manual but haven’t gotten around to that part yet.

Trust me. LOTS of people find the Prefs section confusing. There’s a surprising amount of stuff in there nowadays.

And programming a search box for Prefs would take about an hour.

Only takes a few minutes to 1) go through all of the prefs sections to see what’s there and 2) press the help button to see the explanation for whatever you don’t understand.

No need for a search option.

1. press the help button to see the explanation for whatever you don’t understand.

Exactly, Mr.Gump.

Most users expect (and not unreasonably) to open the Operation Manual and find a detailed section on Preferences. You’d be surprised how many people never notice the purple ? button in the Preferences menu. To tell the truth, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to duplicate this section in the Operations Manual…but it is convenient to gain access directly from the Prefs menu.

You guys are some unreconstructed so and sos… Frankly, I thought that RTFM crap was over by now. Someone wants the program to be easier and you get all blood n guts. REAL MEN DON’T NEED…

There are now hundreds of prefs. There will be more. The WinHelp is not searchable and it’s a pain. Minutes? Why should a guy wait even 5 seconds to find something in 2014?

The program is often arcane and hard to figure out. Why anyone would be against making it easier is beyond me… unless one equates ‘easy’ with ‘lazy’.

Fine. I’m lazy. I wanna focus on music… not some pref I need to change NOW but won’t touch again for 12 months.

Nice mis-quotes and reading beyond the lines, not to mention extreme exaggerations. :neutral_face:

Hundreds of prefs??? Be real. :unamused:

A true pro familiarizes himself with his tools before using them. :bulb:

“A true pro familiarizes himself with his tools before using them.”

That is correct, but in my case i have been called to operate cubase one day before the project. And because i believe in your statement above, i drove 50 kilometers just to acquire my old sx dongle and have a demo version working on my machine the night before i dive into a cubase project. My first day was horrid. I found a lot of things strange and wanted to change settings on the fly, but alas, in my utter panic and horror, there was no internet connection in that studio that day and the head engineer seriously couldn’t find a solution to my requests (seems they have lived and adapted well with cubase’s default settings). YES A SEARCH FUNCTION WOULD BE USEFUL. i ended up with the auto-arm default and manual monitoring that first day. If i was brave enough i could touch the fader very carefully to bring up/down levels while the artist recorded on another track. :astonished:

I get the situation you were in and co-miserate. :wink:

I’m speaking to the everyday Cubendo users. :sunglasses:

Couldn’t the same be argued for VST/VSTi’s? I’m sure most people has less plug-ins installed than there are preferences settings. Do you suggest that Steinberg scrap the search function in the VST/VSTi menu-windows aswell?

That entails memorizing 1871 pages worth of technical operating instructions. Good idea? Maybe for people with photographic memory. Quite a tall order for most people. Especially if one is supposed to find time to use Cubase for it’s intended use, along with all that reading.

The option to search for preferences sounds like a good idea to me. There are enough of them there to make it a valuable time-saver.

Why not expand the idea to include searching for other settings aswell? Where do set:
An output fader to lock to the right edge of the MixConsole? (this one actually eluded me for quite a while)
The buffer/latency size?
The algorithm used for transposing audio?
The default bitrate?

These, and a multitude others, settings are spread out all over Cubase and not in the preferences settings.

Perhaps SB could make everyone happy with another Pref: Skill Level.

If you select, “I’m So Ashamed… I’m A Total Noob!” you get really good context-sensitive OLH.

If you answer, “I’m A Real Pro!”… every time you press F1, Arnold Schwarzenegger answers: “READ ZEE MANUAL, GUHRLIE MAHN.”