Technical question about stems

I have a technical question about stems,

When exporting by groups, are this exporting as well the fx of routed “sub groups” and stereo out channel? or how it works exactly?

It exports everything that is routed to the selected output.

E.g:

From track 1 to 6 routed to Group 1, and Group 1 routed to Group 2

This means that if I export Group 2, must keep the FX from Group 1, however, not the FX in main Stereo Out, am I right?

If Im right, then something weird is happening… or maybe im missing something… but I did an export of the last Groups, to make Stems, and I got a totally different audio mixdown than the mix I have in the arrangement.

Depends on what FX you are talking about, but basically - yes.

Possible, depending on a lot of things.

If you export group 2, the export will include the output of group 2. That will necessarily include any input to group 2.

With FX I mean VST plugins,

example:

1.- Audio tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, routed to Group 1, containing as inserts an: EQ, Saturator, Reverb and others, then Group 1 routed to Group 2 (with 0 inserts).

2.- Instruments tracks 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, routed to Group 3, containing as inserts an: EQ, Saturator, Reverb and others, then Group 3 routed to Group 4 (with 0 inserts).

In the batch export: I select only Group 2 and Group 4… and in the master track (main stereo out) as insert I have an EQ only; is this last affecting Group 2 and 4?

Thats was my first thought, but seems something is failing, so at this point Im not sure if its some kind of a bug of Cubase 9.5 by the multiple routings…

Can somebody reproduce it in Cubase 10?

Here’s what I would suggest: create a simple project that illustrates the problem, upload it, and ask a Cubase 10 user to load it and do an export for you.

Sure, but is it inserts or send FX?

2.- Instruments tracks 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, routed to Group 3, containing as inserts an: EQ, Saturator, Reverb and others, then Group 3 routed to Group 4 (with 0 inserts).

In the batch export: I select only Group 2 and Group 4… and in the master track (main stereo out) as insert I have an EQ only; is this last affecting Group 2 and 4? [/quote]
No.

I can probably do it, however if I do it under the same conditions of my current project, probably the testers would lack some plugins that I use, I’m starting to think that probably could be certain plugins that at the time I do the batch process, some how are getting disabled, but this could be a Cubase issue, as could be plugin issue … :unamused:

Inserts (not send FX)

Sorry, but I personally still haven´t understood what the actual weird thing is, that happens to you. Is the Main out EQ included in batch export?

No, since I don’t want to export the main out… However, I was thinking that when exporting selected tracks or groups, the main out will be taken in to account, as when is done a “render in place”… but regardless of that the exported groups (as in the example) sounds as if prior had no inserts so the exported audio of selected groups sounds like no mix…

When you output a group the signal chain ends there. It will not take into account any settings post that group.

So let’s say you have group 1 routed to group 2 and group 2 routed to the stereo out.

Now let’s say you have a DDL on group 1 and a reverb on group 2 and a limiter on the stereo out.

If you bounce group 1 you’ll only get the DDL. If you bounce group 2 you’ll get both the DDL and the Reverb. And if you bounce the stereo out you’ll get the DDL, the reverb and the limiter.

Make sense?

Totally… red text is what Im doing, but is not happening… and that’s why I been tremendously confused, so … in this case I can discard user mistake, must be a weird bug in 9.5…

It still could be one of your plugs and not Cubase.

As I’ve never had an issue with this. You should set up a blank session and use Steinbergs built in plugs With extreme settings so it’s easy to hear their effect and see if you are still having your issue.