Template crashes Nuendo 11.0.41 build 448

Dear collected wisdom.
I have a template that crashes when opening it. I tried opening the debug-file in WinDbg but it does not make much sense to me as I don’t really know what I am seeing there. I tried starting the software without third party plugs, and with bypassed prefs, but still the same result. It also appears after rebooting the PC (Win 11). The template worked fine this morning. I would very much apprechiate should you have any insight to share with me.
Yours sincerely,

Nuendo 64bit 2023.8.4 (3.6 MB)
Nuendo 64bit 2023.8.4 (1.1 MB)


The crash is not in any plug-in. It is in Nuendo. You said disabling preferences didn’t help. Have you had older Nuendo installed, i.e. do you have older Nuendo preferences available in the folder? Could you try to rename/remove all Nuendo versions preferences folders, to start Nuendo with the factory preferences, please?

Nuendo Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Nuendo X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Nuendo X_64

In your case, it would be Nuendo 11_64, Nuendo 10_64 (if there is any), etc.

Does it help?

thank you very much for reaching out! :slight_smile: That’s interesting.

The only place I found a preference file was at %appData% Steinberg/roaming/Nuendo 11_64/UserPreferences. I tried renaming and starting Nuendo 11 anew asking it to delete the prefs at the opening dialog. It did not work, unfortunately.

It should be said that the PC-build (Win 11) is new and I have only installed Nuendo 11.0.41 build 448 on it. However, I used to use my other machine (a Win 10, which now serves as a VEP7 server for my new machine, connected through a direct 10GB ethernet link) and after installing the new machine, I imported expression maps and logical presets from the old machine over to the new one [both currently running the same Nuendo version]).

What is interesting is that some of my other templates seem to open fine. It may not have anything to do with anything, in this context, but I also did run a “sfc /scannow” command in the terminal (administrator mode) which found some corrupted files, but this fix hasn’t changed the Nuendo temp-situation noticeably. Below, you’ll find the available files in the Nuendo 11_64-folder of my newly built machine in question…

The two machines are:

  • Master PC:
    • CPU: Intel i9 12900K, 5.2GHz
    • RAM: Kingston Fury Beast Black DDR5 5600MHz 2x32GB
    • Motherboard: ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI ATX MB LGA1700
    • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i-17xx
    • Graphics card: Zotac GTX960 4GB
    • Video card: Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor
    • FireWire 800 IEEE1394 PCIe
    • OS: Windows 11 Pro
  • VEP7 Server PC:
    • Motherboard : ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-7800X, 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.5GHz-4 GHz
    • Cooler : be quiet! Dark Rock 4
    • RAM : 128 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
    • Graphics card : Geforce gtx 1060 3GB
    • Wifi: Asus PCE-AC68 WiFi-ac PCIe-adapter
    • TP-Link TX401 10 Gigabit PCI Express
    • OS: Windows 10 Pro

I am also running Avid Control App over EuCon, should it matter…
Cheers, and thanks again :slight_smile:

Well, what changed?

I’m not quite certain, to be honest. I was updating my template, which I had from before on my old PC, and which I had imported over to the new one. It has about 1000 tracks or so, so it takes a couple of days to do all the changes and gain-staging all the tracks. I made all changes and saved the template continuously. The first day, I did about 60% of the work. On the second day, I reopened the template and continued doing the remaining 40% of the work without experiencing any lags, difficulties nor noticing anything peculiar at all. When I was finished, I saved the template one last time and opened a new project using the template. It crashed. The next day, I found a backup file of the first 60%s, it opened without any issues and I replicated the work of the remaining 40% (similarly-ish). Everything seemed to go well. I closed and opened a new project with the template, and it crashed (“a serious error…”). Now, when I open the template, all goes well until the mixer appears (not the project), lingers for a few seconds, disappears again and Nuendo shuts down by itself. Now, there’s not much difference between the changes from the first 60% and the last 40%. Basically, after migrating the template to the new computer, a lot of the VEP7 instrument tracks in the project had deactivated a portion of their outputs, so the work I did was to reopen them, name the tracks and route them to their group tracks once more. That’s basically the full story… Plugin-wise, (beyond simple naming and routing activities) the only difference between the old template on the old PC (now, a dedicated VEP7-Server) from the new one are SoundID reference multichannel and two UAD native plugins. Everything else should be the same (and installed on the new machine), if my memory does not deceive me :slight_smile:


The good thing is that the fault seems to be in that last 40%.

I would go and replicate that, but go one track at a time… save the template, reopen and see if it crashes.

Also, triple check plugin versions, make sure in the new computer they are indeed the correct versions. And that your smaple library is correctly connected to your samplers.

Lastly, make sure the permissions for the folder (s) where you store your settings files, for the plugins, in case you use that, is set properly. Maybe a setting crashes when you reopen it… and it cannot read it properly.



The crash is in the Arranger track area. Do you use it? Do you need it in the template?

Would you be willing to share the project (you can send it privately, by sharing the link via PM)?


These are the user preferences. The whole Nuendo 11_64 is the Nuendo 11 preferences folder with all the preferences. So if you would delete this one (and other Nuendo 10_64…, if you have some), you would get the factory settings.

Ah! Thank you for clearing that up. I tried it, but it did not make any difference, I am afraid. One thing that confuses me in WinDBG is that I use Win11 but the !analyze -v reports OS 10… Would that have something to do with it? Should I try to reinstall nuendo from the manager?

Oh, thank you. I responded to the other before seeing this one. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, but I can certainly live without it in the template. Shure, I’ll send it to you. I am out of the studio right now, but I can do it tonight.

Thank you for the suggestion. It all checks out from what I can see and I have updated everything I can. I will try your suggestion if nothing else works for sure, but as long as I don’t understand what the issue is, I am a bit too concerned that it will happen again in the future, mid-project when the stakes are much higher than they are at the moment. But to be as systematic and step-by step as you suggest would be a good idea, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Robin,

It also crashes on my system (Mac), when I try to open the project (you shared with me). Therefore it will be easier to process it with Steinberg.

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Thank you for your time and help. Do you know where I can report it to them? Last time I checked I only found a telephone number. I am in Norway…


I did already, thank you.

1 Like

Oh! How lovely. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hello again,
I’m sure you haven’t, but, out of curiosity, have you heard anything from Steinberg on what’s wrong with the template?
All best


I can just see the status, it’s in progress.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:


For some reason, the template file is 2.8GB large. This is not a common project size. I have seen the same already. It was always some 3rd party issue. A plug-in stored data into the project, which shouldn’t happen. In the past, I remember IK Multimedia, Arturia, and NI (Kontakt) did this, but also SpectraLayers (ARA). Please, make sure all your plug-ins are up to date.

Do you have an older version of the project/template (which is not so large) available, by any chance? You can open it and use it as a starting point to make your complete template again.


Thank you so very much for the help. I’ll try to do what you suggest, and if it doesn’t work properly, I’ll know what to look for to avoid the problem in the future. I tried to redo the template from the last functioning version (which was only a few K large, so much, much smaller) while deleting the arranger track before saving, and so far it seems to work well as an alternative.
Again, thank you!

1 Like