Tempo changes: a small FR

I’m transcribing a few Mahler scores. As we all know, he uses a lot of elaborate tempo markings (“Etwas zurückhältend”, “Nicht eilen”, “Sanft bewegt”) etc. Now, I’m not asking Dorico to understand all the flowery German terms, but why does any marking that it doesn’t recognise reset the tempo to the arbitrary value of q=72? If possible I’d like the option to copy the previous MM when in doubt and be able to make changes from that.

You can already do all that. My advice for these markings would be this one : when you invoke the tempo popover, put the MM only. Like q=80, h.=56 or whatever.
Then, in the properties panel (the bottom one), fill in the text field, and untick Show metronome mark if you don’t want it to appear on the score. This way, you’re sure that Dorico will not interpret or mis-parse anything, and in the end you’ll earn some time. My 2 cents :wink:

I know I can do what you describe, but my point is that I don’t particularly care about the precise metronome marks—I just use the rough playback for error-checking. My point is that I would like any unknown tempo markings (in this case: almost all of them, and there are a lot) to be “transparent”, i.e. to copy the tempo that’s already there instead of resetting to q=72. That would save me much more time than your detailed method. Thanks for answering though :slight_smile:

Ok, understood :wink:
I remember someone from the team explaining that they chose this value for every tempo marking that Dorico doesn’t know. What you propose here (providing there already is a tempo before) would probably be a better solution for me too… There’s still some room for improvement here ^^

Using the properties panel has it’s own annoyances since you can’t input special characters into it, like all those umlauts and accents.

It may not be universally possible or overly convenient, but I have no problem adding an accented u for adding piú to forte or the like by copying from Windows’ Character Map into the prefix box in Properties.

You could perhaps create an “a tempo” and then change the text via the Properties panel? That will be reasonably transparent in terms of its playback effect, though of course if it follows a rit. or accel. it will return the tempo to the last absolute tempo.