Tempo Detection

Cubase Pro 9; Windows 10. I do covers as a hobby. I normally use the song I am going to cover as a reference track.

After I import the reference song on a track and have it start on measure 1, I use Tempo Detection and Analyze the reference track.

Next, I adjust the tempo markers on the tempo track to match the reference song where needed.

Once that is done, I go to the start of the track and change the signature track to 4/4.

Then I go to menu items Audio>Advanced>Set Definition to Tempo. I write the tempo to the project and select all tracks to musical mode.

Well it worked but I made an error I need to understand and avoid on my new project. The reference track, click, and my programed drums and my played bass and guitar tracks were all synced to the reference track and, I guess, it’s tempo track. And I was able to do Quantizing to get it all locked to the grid.

But later I discovered they were all syncing to a tempo track that had multiple or various tempo adjustments through out the lenth of the song rather than, what I want, one consistent tempo for the entire song.

What did I do wrong?

What I would do instead at that point (in red) is open the Tempo editor (CTRL-T), select all the tempo points in the project and delete them, then in put a dot at the one tempo you want the song at (probably some average tempo of the song).

Thanks. On projects where there are multiple recorded (audio and midi) tracks syncing with a variable tempo track I’ve seen someone use this trick where they seem to select musical mode next to the track in the Pool, then go back to that track at the very beginning, record like 1 second up front, then glue the two pieces together and bounce/replace with the end result a track with one consistent tempo. But I don’t quite understand that process either.

But later I discovered they were all syncing to a tempo track that had multiple or various tempo adjustments through out the lenth of the song rather than, what I want, one consistent tempo for the entire song.

If you did the tempo detection right, and everything is in sync, just disable the tempo track (change the transport from follow tempo to fixed tempo).

If your audio events are in musical mode, now they should follow the fixed tempo. If you select an audio event and choose Audio/Bounce selection, you will get a new event with the fixed tempo embedded.

‘If you select an audio event and choose Audio/Bounce selection, you will get a new event with the fixed tempo embedded’

Ha. Great tip.