Tempo Issues 2

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on writing the Largo from Beethoven’s 3rd Piano Concerto in Dorico. For the orchestra, I’m using NotePerformer, and for the piano, I’m using the Embertone Walker D virtual piano. However, I’m encountering a problem.

When I use NotePerformer’s piano, everything works fine. But when I switch to the Embertone Walker D for the piano, the tempo gets messed up, and the piano notes don’t play correctly.

I’ve tried adjusting various settings, including the buffer size in the audio device setup, but the problem persists. It seems like there might be an issue with MIDI latency or synchronization between NotePerformer and the Embertone Walker D.

Could anyone please help me resolve this issue?

Thank you!
Piano Concerto No. 3 Op,37 Largo.dorico (2.5 MB)

I haven’t received any response regarding the topic I mentioned in this link: Tempo Issues. Since two days have passed, I decided to share it again. But this time, I have detailed it with a video. I hope I can find a solution this time. I tried to demonstrate the situation I described in the given link with the video. Please, I need help. Video: PI.mp4 - Google Drive

It seems like an Embertone Walker problem rather than anything Dorico specific. A quick Google suggests that it’s a particularly resource-heavy VST.

Have you followed the advice in this thread: Embertone Walker 1955 Steinway D - Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums or this one? Embertone Walker 1955 Concert D performance issues

I am experiencing the same issue with Garritan CFX. It is not specific to Embertone Walker. Everything is in the video. If you have time, please watch it."

Try setting this Playback Option to something lower - it’s 30% in your file.

Does that help?

(Side note: if you have new information to add to an existing thread, please add it to the existing thread rather than a new one. I missed the original one and hadn’t realised from the new one that you’d previously posted the project file.)

1 Like

Yes, this solved my problem. Thank you very much. Also, I apologize for forgetting to add it. I thought those who went to the first topic might see the link as well. Thank you again for your advice. Is there a way to set these settings as default? Or do I have to configure them in every project? Can you answer this too?

At the bottom left corner of Playback Options there’s a Save As Default button. If you save as default this will not automatically apply to existing projects, but it will apply to all new projects. There’s a Reset to Saved Defaults button too, which can be used in other existing projects. (This is consistent with all the other dialogs that have Save As Default/Reset to Saved Defaults buttons.)

1 Like

Thank you very much :+1: :+1:

On a musicological point, I think you have misinterpreted the Solo/Tutti marks. They simply show where the soloist takes the lead, not that the orchestral parts are solo. For example, you will see tutti/solo marked in the individual wind parts too, which would make no sense interpreting them as you have done.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong because the PDFs I have are separated for each player individually. For example, the PDFs I have are separated as Oboe 1 and Oboe 2, or as 1st Violins & First Chair. I can’t be doing it wrong. However, if you have a different suggestion, I’m open to your advice or recommendations.

“In an orchestral context, solo indeed means that the section leader or principal should play on their own, and tutti instructs the rest of the section to start playing again.” Quoted from a different source.

Normally, yes. But often not in Concerti. As in this from Mozart 23rd movt 2… (why would there be a solo viola for 11 bars of rests???)

Or the start of the Schumann…

I could offer countless other examples.

3 Likes

In solo concerti from the 18th and 19th century, ‘Solo’ and ‘Tutti’ are basically rehearsal marks, indicating main sections in the Concerto form. A ‘Solo’ is a section where the soloist is prominent, ‘Tutti’ means the orchestra is the main character and the soloist is silent. A conductor may even refer to them in rehearsal: “Let’s retake the last tutti” and the orchestra will know where to look, because either it’s explicitly written in all parts, or experienced musicians just recognise where it must be (“must be that forte entry of the main theme”), music following conventions and all.
These markings have nothing to do with section leaders soloing. In the rare cases an orchestral string section leader should actually play a solo of their own, the composer should add e.g. “1 Violoncello solo”. ‘Solo’ alone mostly just means “now we’re the accompaniment, so don’t play too loud”.

4 Likes