tempo marking with "a tempo" and "piu mosso"

I know how to enter “a tempo” and “piu mosso.” But, I want to enter “a tempo q=68” or “piu mosso q = 56”
When I try to do that it only enters the words but not the metronome marking.
I tried putting an extra space between words in “a tempo” and then it would add the metronome marking too, but that didn’t work with “piu mosso.”
I don’t want to use a text box for the words because it needs to show in all the parts.
How to do it? Thanks!

Indeed, you cannot add such metronome markings with relative tempi (I guess the ones not starting with a capital letter). Maybe you could add the metronome marking as a new tempo right after the relative tempo (a crotchet later or so).
The other option would be a system text marking (not just text, shift X, but system text, alt-shift-X. You may not have that shortcut working, if you have created you own shortcuts before the 1.1.0 update, so you may want to add it, in the preferences). It will not affect the playback, but will look exactly as you want it to.

I would suggest the inverse of what Marc is saying: force Dorico to understand the marking as an immediate tempo marking (since that’s really what a tempo or a più mosso is, really) instead. You could enter the metronome mark into the tempo popover, as you’re doing now, and entering the text later via the Properties panel.

1 Like

Dear LSalgueiro,
I agree with you: it would be better to force Dorico to understand as you say… The question is HOW ???

As I said: if you enter just a metronome marking, Dorico will have nothing to interpret but the marking. You can than enter the text via the Properties panel (and not the popover) and it won’t be interpreted as a gradual tempo change. Am I wrong in this?

That’s right. What I usually do is enter something like “Allegro q=120” and then open the properties panel and change the “Allegro” to “Tempo I” or whatever text I actually want there. Hopefully this will be simpler in future versions.

1 Like

Great workaround!

Thanks to you both!

I have another problem with this workaround. let say I want to write Più mosso with a tempo mark. First I need to enter the tempo mark using the tempo popover and then add the text in the properties panel. The problem is that I don’t have accents on my keyboard. I tried to take the Più sign from the right panel but it doesn’t work in this workaround.

So I copied the word Più from google and paste it in the text box in the properties panel (not a smooth workflow I’d say).

I hope in the future there will be an option to enter a relative tempo text into the popover and then change the tempo mark in the properties panel or just enter text with tempo marks altogether in the tempo popover.

If you have another solution I’ll be glad to know.

On Mac (at least on English keyboards) it’s as simple as typing Alt-` and then typing u. On Windows I’m not entirely sure, off the top of my head.

I’m using Windows, haven’t found any simple solution as of now.

To type ù on Windows, make sure Num Lock is activated on the numeric keypad, then hold down the Alt key and press 151 on the keypad.

For other special characters, see here: https://www.alt-codes.net/

This method doesn’t work for all Unicode characters, but it will handle most languages written using the Latin alphabet.

With my less-than-stellar memory for key codes, I often copy/paste from the Character Map utility on Windows machines.

Thanks Bob, it worked!

But it’s still quite a long process compared to typing everything (the text and the tempo mark) into the popover all at once. I hope this option will be available someday.

Now:

1. Ctrl+T
  2. Insert tempo mark
  3. Ctrl+8
  4. Click on text box
  5. Write text
  6. Enable “Text shown” option

My Hope: :slight_smile:

1. Ctrl+T
  2. Insert text + tempo mark

On Windows 10 there is now a new input method with “Windows-Logo-button” and “.”. It opens an editor to enter emojis and other stuff. I use this often now.

How to you get the ù in the emoji popup into the popovers or properties text box. Ctrl-C doesn’t work, dragging doesn’t. If I try to use the alt-0249 option in the text items in the properties panel it deselects my item and I can’t do it.

If you want to enter più into a properties text box, start by typing pi, then press Windows-key and period to open the emoji popup, click on the Omega sign at the top of the popup to obtain symbols, click on the C-cedilla at the bottom to obtain Latin symbols, scroll down to the letter U and click on ù. Then close the popup.

T

Have you actually got this to work? I did exactly as you said and nothing happened. Oh, I saw the popup and clicked on it, but nothing transferred to Dorico. Why must this be so hard?

It is important that the text cursor is already in a popover or properties text box before using the emoji popup. But yes, I did test this before I replied to your post.

If all else fails, you can type ù into Notepad using Alt-0249 and then copy and paste it into a popover or properties text box.

I’m doing the cut and paste or alt-0249 when possible. Fortunately the need for typing the u with the accent (grave?) is not something I will need to do very often. I’ve exited dorico, and tried again the and it just isn’t sending the characters. It doesn’t work here either on the forum (using firefox browser). I can get it to transfer the character to the windows start menu but not notepad or even word (2007). Thanks.