Tempo Marks with tremolo

I previously stated that I know nothing about mandolin music, and that includes knowing about the existence of a mandolin orchestra. :slightly_smiling_face:

100 years ago, Mandolin was the most popular instrument in America. Mandolin Orchestras were everywhere. Now, only a few exist. The oldest is in Rhode Island where Giuseppe Pettine lived. I wish someone would post some of that old music online but, I can’t find any anywhere.

Not an orchestra, I know, but a while ago I heard the quartet The Mandolinquents in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, UK with a great evening of English humour and a fascinating view of mandolins (including a bass one, if that’s what it’s called) and guitars. Search Google for Mandolinquents and choose the Czardas video and you’ll get both the humour and, after a bit, some great playing.
Chris

1 Like

I just looked up The Mandolinquents. They do indeed have a Mandobass. They are rather rare.

Mandobass, why not go straight to the double bass balalaika, as seen here in Rameau’s Les Sauvages: