Tempo track work messes up audio even in earlier saved versions

I’ve run into really bad problems with audio timing getting changed (“warped”?) after creating tempo points to define the tempo of a freely played piano part (not changing any tempo points, just mapping them out). I haven’t been able to troubleshoot that successfully yet.

But the reason I’m writing is I found (during troubleshooting) that the audio timing was all off even when listening in earlier versions of the project that predated my mapping out the tempo.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks!

Kindly have a look at this post and adjust your track/event setting correspondingly. Not sure if you can restore your audio file, though.

I took another look at that post, and found it helpful again, thanks @Johnny_Moneto !

But unfortunately I still don’t understand why the audio would be affected in earlier versions of the project that predated my mapping out the tempo?

Unless - the original file no longer exists after warping, and so even very early versions of the project that access the audio file will only find the warped one to play?

If that’s true … would bouncing all audio before manipulating tempo tracks be the only way to ensure the original audio file is always accessible unchanged?

(I’m very confused, to state the obvious!)

Thank you!