Tempo with multiple note values

I occasionally have the situation where I need to define a tempo with multiple note values indicated:
Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 11.04.31
I have been doing this with shift-alt-x and the appropriate paragraph style. The result looks ok but doesn’t act like a tempo marking in that it doesn’t align vertically with gradual tempo lines or horizontally with time signature changes (without manual intervention).
I was just wondering if I’m missing a better way to do this.
Thanks in advance!

I can’t help but asking why you need this, as the tempos are 100% equivalent?

the short answer is because the people paying me want it that way!
I assume it is because the original tempo was quarter-note based and the return is now eighth-note based but equivalent. Essentially just to clarify that it is not the dotted quarter that gets the a tempo.

1 Like

I would think simultaneous meters, like some instruments notated in 3/4 and some in 6/8, would be a possible use case too.

I’m not sure but, maybe you can group system objects together?

You can’t group tempo items together. There’s no better way to achieve this that I can think of.

1 Like

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. Clearly not the end of the world, I was just wondering if I missed something - as is often the case!
Maybe a long-term request here for a bit more flexibilty in creating tempo text or a way to define a paragraph style that behaves like ‘real’ tempo text.

1 Like

Could using one of the Notation Central fonts (MusGlyphs?) as part of your Tempo text make the situation easier?

Thanks, @Derrek, I appreciate the input. The problem is not entering the text (I think that screenshot was actually done using MusGlyphs) but that the text doesn’t align automatically like other tempo text once it exists. So when it happens several times in a large orchestral score you have to move it manually in a lot of places - I was just wondering if that could be avoided by some setting or other workaround.
Thanks!

1 Like

My point was to enter the MusGlyphs font characters as tempo text in the Properties panel. That should keep everything together. You might have to create a special Tempo Font/Paragraph style to make it work.

(I hope MusGlyphs contains a range of normal alphanumeric characters.)

tempoTextIdea

1 Like

thanks for the follow-up @Derrek. I tried your suggestion but couldn’t get it to work (which doesn’t mean it isn’t possible!). I can’t use MusGlyphs as the default tempo font style or it affects all tempo markings and if I insert the glyphs in the properties they naturally inherit the prevailing font style. I can create a new font style or paragraph style but to access it I need to use shift-alt-x which is the root of the problem.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

1 Like

You can write the directions with system text, and also add the desired tempo text – but hide the latter by unchecking the boxes in Properties. That leaves a only signpost.

1 Like