Greetings,

First, My info:

Cubase 5.1.1 LE
Intel i3 w/4GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Alesis MultiMix 8 FX

I’m using the ASIO DirectX Full-Duplex Driver

My issue:

I’m importing a jam track on track one and trying to record guitar over the top of it on track 2. In short, the latency is horrific. I’ve gone through the manuals, etc. but have yet to find anything that addresses latency. It talks about it but I don’t see where I can fix it. It practically makes the whole setup useless for any kind of over-dubbing. Could somebody steer me in the right direction for addressing latency issues?

Brian

You need to use the ASIO driver for the Multimix.

According to Alesis website, no drivers are necessary other than the one installed by Cubase:

Musicians and engineers can plug the MultiMix 8 USB FX’s class-compliant USB connection into their Mac or PC without installing any software drivers and enjoy a digital-direct stereo connection with virtually any audio software application. The MultiMix 8 USB FX enables bidirectional stereo signal, so musicians can record the stereo Main output into their computer and listen back using the mixer as an interface from software to headphones and monitoring loudspeakers.

Therefore, the AISO drive I have is the one mentioned in my original post.

Brian

Where in your quote does it say that? The Direct Duplex driver is the stock Cubase ASIO driver and is junk. If there really is no ASIO driver for your device, Google ASIO4All.

Indeed it does look like the Alesis Multi-Mix 8 usb FX does not have a dedicated ASIO driver, that sucks.

The Multi-Mix 8 usb 2 does, but you don’t have one of those, thus you will need the ASIO4ALL drive as stated.

Google it, download it and use it, it should enable you to get low latency.

Done. I guess what perplexes me is that this product could make it out the door with that terrible driver. Am I to believe that they never noticed a latency issue while in development?

I’ve used the ASIO44ALL with Kristal so I was familiar with it, but I didn’t want to jump to that conclusion before I was certain that I wasn’t missing something with the Full-Duplex driver.

Thanks for the replies. The ASIO4ALL seems to be doing the trick.

Brian

It looks like it made it out the door without any driver! The direct X thingy is not Alesis.

In fact the mixer is just a simple usb 1, 16bit stereo interface with no ASIO driver, disappointing.

Can I add to this: Does anyone know of any other ways of altering the latency in LE5? I use the ASIO4ALL Driver and still have problems :confused:

Open the ASIO4All control panel and check/try adjusting the “Latency Compensation” settings.