Text and fingering missing from the Notations Toolbox

I’m using Dorico Pro 4.2.0.1092 on Windows 10. I’m used to adding text using the ‘abc’ button from the Notations Toolbox. I have dicovered right now that it’s missing:

The Shift-X popover works and the text is inserted correctly.

I see now that the fingering button is also missing. Perhaps there are other buttons missing that I do not use.

Also, when I hover the mouse cursor over the buttons in the Notation Toolbox, no helpful message appears: itsn’t it the case that normally some short piece of text with a keyboard shortcut should materialize?

What should I do to get these buttons back?

Click the pallete icon at the very top (under the Redo button).
(See the top section of this help article: Notations toolbox)

As to the mouseover text that ought to appear when you hover over icons, no, that’s not working at the moment. This is a known problem to do with changes to the underlying Qt framework.

Unfortunately nothing visible happens when I click the palette icon. But when I clicked the keyboard icon the proper buttons appeared. They were grayed out but after clicking in the score they became available. Thank you very much; I must’ve clicked the palette by mistake. After all this I was able to understand the article you linked :slight_smile:

(To be perfectly frank, I’m not fond of this UI change. (It’s a change, right?) What was wrong with just having the full notation toolbox all the time?)

Sorry, I got those the wrong way round. On the iPad version you can’t access an onscreen keyboard until something on screen demands text input, which means that (if it followed the old behaviour) there’d be no way to get popovers to appear unless you had a bluetooth keyboard. With the keyboard icon selected, the buttons bring up popovers, whereas with the pallete icon selected they show the various panels. Seeing as Figured Bass and Text don’t have panels, those buttons disappear if you’re in the keyboard mode.

This change just brings Dorico 4 in line with the iPad version.

2 Likes

“This change just brings Dorico 4 in line with the iPad version.”

Ouch. Honestly, as a PC user I don’t see this as an improvement. But of course if it makes the development team’s job easier, then I totally understand.

Thank you again for the explanation!

It’s not about making development easier, but rather about consistency. The benefit to having the toggle at the top of the notations toolbox on the right-hand side is that now there is an easy way to tailor the program to the way you work: if you are habitually a popover user, you can set the toolbox to show popovers, and all of the popovers appear there. If you are habitually a panel user, on the other hand, you can set the toolbox to show panels. In either case, all of the buttons shown behave consistently.