Thank you for welcoming me to DORICO. Not convinced DORICO is for me & Let me introduce myself

Hallo, I’ve followed your guide on VSL for DORICO, installed volumes with installer, everything shows up correctly but no sound. Just before this I moved my licenses from the old e licenser to the new now installed i Lok . Seem to remember reading somewhere that I must reinstall my VSL products for them to work after moving licenses to i Lok? NotePerformer works fine. Thanks.

My strong recommendation is to learn Dorico using something simple like Halion/NotePerformer for playback. Do not get distracted trying to get VSL to work until you are ready to dive into the esoteric world of expression maps… (just my ha’penny-worth)

4 Likes

Yep. Redownload and install. “Vienna Assistant” is your friend…

1 Like

Thanks

I also just wanted to make sure you were aware of a couple of things that will help smooth the transition from Sib. First, the Dorico Resources page which contains lots of helpful links and resources. Definitely worth bookmarking. Second is the first item on that page, the Dorico First Steps Guide. I’d really recommend working your way through that. Dorico works differently from other programs and it’s a useful tutorial to help you understand essential concepts and basic info to get you up and working.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve bookmarked the page.

1 Like

If you like Dorico (and it sounds like you do) then make the switch. The Dorico team may be made up of people who worked on the original Sibelius but the bottom line is, Dorico isn’t Sibelius.

Is there an equivalent in DORICO to Sibelius’s “Audio Engine Options” where you can see and set: Interface, Asio Setup, Buffer size, Sample Rate and Latency?

Preferences/Play/ and scroll down to “Audio Device”

You can also find that at Edit > Device Setup.

1 Like

Thank you dsreadburry and Christian_R. Found it easily, was just wandered what would be best buffer size and Sample rate settings in DORICO to have minimum latency without introducing “crackling”

This always depends on the system. You’ll have to experiment to see what works best for your hardware. Try low settings, and slowly raise them after each test until the crackling goes away.

Just changed from not convinced to definitively convinced DORICO is for me, the helpful support from DORICO staff and Forum members, the logical architecture of the software, the very easy integration with VSL, NOTEPERFORMER and other orchestras and the fabulous inbuilt mini-DAW has me composing at 4.00 am!
Thanks everyone.

11 Likes

Welcome to the tribe!

One of us! One of us! :grin:

TBH, I think this is a fairly common ‘journey’. People approach Dorico, armed with their experience of other software, and then they get worried when it doesn’t match up. Then they spend some time, find out how it works, and then everything… clicks.

4 Likes

Running into small obstacles.
Please help.

1. I am using Note Performer and VSL in DORICO 4, Is there a way getting one single long note to dimmish or increase in volume or to vary in volume? (With a string of notes this is easy to do in PLAY using Dynamics and in WRITE with dim. cresc. and fff ppp and so on.)

2. I am having a very difficult time importing scores in XML with many instruments to DORICO 4 from Sibelius 7.13, the dynamics finish up all wrong and the staffs are squeezed together forming one stave with about a hundred lines! It would be so nice to read an article or see a video explaining this processes thoroughly. If there isn’t an article or video perhaps I hope some nice member will help us new converts with this.

3. Under Track Inspector I have all instruments on Port 1 and Channel 1 and it works; but surely this is wrong. Or is it?

4. Very easy to tie notes together, but how do I errase the tie? In Sibelius I just select the tie and delete it; but in DORICO tied notes are all selected together.

Thanks in advance.

Select the tied note, press U (for untie).

1 Like

This is as it should be for NotePerformer 3 and also for VSL’s Synchron Player which assigns separate player instances for each instrument. However, you will get a different result if you change your playback template to HSSE+HSO, for example. NotePerformer 4 will be released very soon and may handle things differently from NP3. You will also notice that NP3 uses both its own mixer and the Dorico mixer, which includes a separate channel for each instance of NP3. This is clumsy but reflects that NP 3 was adapted for use in Dorico sometime after its release rather than designed with Dorico in mind.

1 Like

Although it is true that you can just select the note and press U to untie, if it is a longer tied note that involves multiple ties, you might not want to untie the whole thing. You can press ENTER (RETURN) to activate the caret, use the arrow keys to move to the spot you want to separate the note into separate notes (or remove a tie) and press U.

2 Likes

No need to break the tie.

1. Move the caret to where you want to start the cresc/dim. Set a small-ish note duration.
  2. shift-D < (or >) enter space space space.… to extend the hairpin… ? to terminate it
1 Like