Thanks for the 8.010 release update

True words, my problem is with shouting, calling nasty names and attacking poeple for having opinions.

I do not want to be bothered by this kind of attitude, last night I was browsing on Gearslutz and a few members called the Cubase forum as one of the most agressive they know about.

I totally agree with this statement and I can understand why in the past some poeple were banned!

This is probably because many of the members here are running musical operations. For instance a studio or post production facility or writing music to deadlines. I guess frustration boils over. I am not condoning - but it happens.

Perhaps there ought to be a rule that people count to 25 before they commit a thought to the page. The problem with on-line is that it is often a direct conduit to your thoughts and the danger is you write, post then repent.

Is this the right room for an argument?
No! It’s being hit on the head lessons in here…
Hold your head like this and go Whaaa!
:laughing:

I’m a computer programmer by trade - you have to understand that a DAW is a niche product in quite a small market - it will never be polished to the nth degree it’s simply not commercially viable to do so - unless you want to sell it for £2000 - in which case no-one will buy it - I must say I’m astonished by all the features in Cubase 8 - yes there are bugs but wrap your head around how many millions of lines of code are required to implement all these features and yet still be user friendly enough to not slow the creative juices of a musician. IMHO Steinberg Cubase 8 is a modern miracle.

As for it being unusable - that part is a lottery based on what features are essential to you and whether it gets on with your computer/drivers/sound interface. My CB8 experience so far has been very good - a few niggles aside. I’ve not experienced a single crash and I still use some 32bit plugins (shame on me!)

IMHO if your DAW makes your living then you should migrate to a new release of anything by configuring a new PC or at least clone your drives and have the old ones as a backup. My music studio PC isn’t even connected to the internet! - if it works - NOTHING gets touched.You wouldn’t try new parts on an aeroplane in mid-flight would you? Why would anyone fundamentally change the PC they make a living with if it’s doing exactly what’s required of it - just for the sake of making an update they don’t actually need?

What blows me away, and has always blown me away is…

…people who make a living off any software (in any industry) should know that you NEVER EVER upgrade your production software until there have been MANY updates and even then, you still test the hell out of it before you plunge into it for production work.

I work for a billion dollar company on $20,000+ software and we always stay almost three full releases behind.

Back on OT, I am glad they mentioned a date but it’s also a risky thing. I can’t imagine the frustration with people if they don’t get that out by March.

Also very workable is that your previous Cubase is still functional side by side with C8.

Absolutely!

I’ve always thought that if I had a software company I’d want to do something like . . Plug Ins.
One basic function and you’re off the market.
At least $100 at retail.

Cubase has tons of plugs AND VSTis AND an incredible program that wraps around all that!
I’m not even a programmer but the thought of all that code makes me dizzy . .
And the retails is, what? 3? 4 times the cost of a single plug?

Nope. Not me.

And, yes.
I’m very happy they announced the delay because I CANNOT use 8 until they get the MCU thing worked out.
Even my paltry 80+ track projects HAVE GOT to be grouped into work areas. And my hardware needs to mirror that.

But now I can relax . . .get some work done . . and maybe I’ll find out what this C8 thing is all about sometimes later this year.

Hugh

+1
“This is how it should be done…” -Rakim

Thanx Steinaha

:nerd:

Good news in advance. I hope it finally solves the ‘Video Engine Output’ issue on booting up Cubase. A minor niggle for me, but perhaps a larger one for some.

I really do hope the problems with Re-Record are sorted in this next update. Please Pretty Please.

I bet 5 bucks they postpone it again… :laughing:

Been using 7.5 since I Paid for 8.0…What a Joke :laughing:

Why can’t they make a Demo that don’t work :blush:

Then they wouldn’t have my Money :unamused:

Does Re-Record work in 7.5?

Yes. I’m not using 7.5 now ( I am on 8.0.5 and 6.5.5) but as far as I remember, re-record was working fine.

I wonder what has happened since 7.5 to make it not work in 8.0.5? I’m not a software developer so I have no idea how problems like this happen.

I also wonder, considering everyone who owns C Pro 8 has paid actual Money for advertised Features that don’t work, whether we will get a free upgrade to C Pro 8.5 or whether we will have to pay for the version that should have been released Dec 2014? Nah, I jest. Nothing is free in this World haha! Anyway, I’m sure it will be sorted soon enough.

I get why people are angry but I’d still rather be told that a fix is going to be late than kept in the dark, aimlessly checking the website every day! That’s not to say I’m not a little disappointed that C8 shipped with some really fundamental flaws, such as an erratic click, weird window behaviour, and so on. I mean even with the latest update I still have to have a little tussle with C8 upon making a new song before I can even see the project location dialogue box, and POD Farm 2.5 (one of my most used plugins) is now effectively useless (unclickable menus), in 8.05 anyway. From what I can remember it was okay on 8 so I’m inclined to think it’s something Steinberg have changed. Thankfully 7.5 is still solid as a rock for me and it opens 8.05 projects. So that’s something at least.

Anyway I’ll continue to alternate between the two, but I’d really like to make the move to 8 properly soon. Here’s hoping the metronome gets fixed at least! Bit of a creativity killer when you have to play a little game with Cubase before it’ll even give you a count-in to record that awesome idea in your head :wink:

I hope Steiny release a demo with this update, I want to try before I upgrade.

Looking at the history of C7, it maybe better waiting for C8.5 before I upgrade.

You’re smarter than all of us…

When you trade in your old car and pay for a new car and it’s a Lemon
Don’t you return it?

They should either fix it or give you your money back…

But they keep your money and fix it when they feel like it…

They knew it was Screwed up before they released it…

But they took our money and still are taking money from suckers out there everyday…

I will bet it still isn’t fixed the middle of next month…Just Saying! :laughing:

I have to re-voice a previous member’s thought: “IMHO Cubase 8 is a modern miracle.”

Too often we take for granted that everything must work perfectly. Here’s a bit of experience I have found: Nothing works perfectly! For Cubase to have released version 8 on the predicted date it said it would (a year before.) is a miracle. Someone in the forum mentioned that everything on Cubase 8 should have been debugged before its release like professional software companies. I have no affiliation with Steinberg, but I have been with Cubase from before version 3. That growth in the incredible features in the program is astounding and unchallenged. Would I love everything to work perfectly at the outset – YES! Do you think Steinberg would like that as well - YES! I’m sorry but no company as far as I have seen has in their history released perfect versions of their software on each release (think Microsoft)

BTW, one of the best things Cubase has done is cleaned up the forum - back in the day, calling people imbeciles was incredibly gentle. Cursing and hating was a daily occurence and was my reason for forgoing the forum. I only recently have returned and am pleased to find a much more civil tone.)

Now perhaps the solution is that you will wait until the next release proves to your satisfaction to be more stable. So you won’t purchase it immediately. That sounds very wise, I have done that with every Microsoft product I’ve purchased. But I think it’s interesting that for this version, you didn’t wait. To my mind, that means that you believed in the integrity of Steinberg. In this computer age of instability, that’s an incredible statement. I love that Steinberg allows me to use my old Cubase, if I am running into issues with the newest one. Try that with Windows.

Because of the incredible program that is Cubase - outclassing all others – I am willing to forgive a few glitches. Most importantly, I know that they will fix them.

I believe we all enjoy Cubase better than the others out there, otherwise we would use them instead. So I understand that most of what was said was about small things and are the product of frustration and disappointment. Cheers!

Sorry, but to think that because Cubase 8 is so complex that it’s a modern miracle, is a fallacy. Complexity doesn’t mean that it’s a miracle, it’s just complex,and that proper development/change/release management should be applied to successfully release the product. If Steinberg isn’t able to deliver that, then it means they aimed too high, and should learn to develop within the capabilities of their organization instead.
Also, perfect is not what’s being asked. Sufficiently stable with no glaring omissions is what’s important, so that users don’t have to be paying beta-testers without having agreed to that. The initial release did not deliver that, neither did the 8.05 update.

The rest of the above statement are the same excuses and defense of Steinberg we see all the time on this forum: Why they are allowed to release software in the state they did with C8. (Except, now there’s a new reason, namely it being a miracle).

In regards to this forum being better now: Personally, I’d prefer people calling each-other names on the forum, than having to try and continuously defend my perspective and/or challenges to a bunch of folks that are defending why the manufacturer is allowed to release a product in a non-ready state. Name-calling can be ignored, but the ongoing attempts to kill any critical perspective on the current release are much harder to ignore.
Seriously, this forum is of no use if the standard answer becomes that there is no accountability for Steinberg…

Regards,

characterstudios