The Autosave rant

I remember seeing many users complain about this but I’ll it anyways because this is still an issue with the latest version, and I decided to write down all the things that have been bothering me on cubase since I started my career.

There have to be a way for the autosave to happen in the background instead of freezing up the project for a few (or many, once your project size is 200MB). this is a main cause for cubase to crash on my system.

Thanks!

People have been complaining about this for years. It drives me absolutely nuts. In the middle of a flow, click off one window to go to another, and autosave decides I’m not doing anything and does its thing. Autosave could be written to work in the background, and not destroy the creative flow. Lazy, lazy programming.

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately saving in the background kind of collides with the idea of saving. To save you first need a proper stable snapshot of your project. Therefore your project needs to be frozen until it’s being entirely saved. Cloning a shallow version of your project would lead to the same issue, it needs to be frozen first until it’s been cloned effectively… but this step alone will also take time if not more.

Nonetheless, we are aware of some performance issues while saving and relevant people have been informed.

Cheers,
Armand

1 Like

What are we saying here, that it’s known that the auto backup feature is responsible for those crashes which happen out of nowhere when no plugin is found to be to be culprit in the fault report?

In other words, would turning off autosave create a more stable experience?

Because I feel like those are the main crashes I get (no obvious plugin as the culprit). I use the autosave to save me in case of such crashes, but am I encouraging them just by having the feature on?

I was only answering about the freezing issue that is unavoidable when saving. As for the the crash reported by @rotemoav in 2017 there is no IPS / DMP attached… and also it’s from 2017 so.

@zooterman please send me your latest DMP / IPS in PM so that I can investigate. Thank you! :slight_smile: