The compatibility of "keycommands_en.json" between Dorico 3.5 and 4.2

Dear users and developers,

I have a backed-up copy of “keycommands_en.json” produced using Dorico 3.5.1 under macOS Mojave.
Could I use it in Dorico 4.2 under macOS 12.5.1 without any problems?

Best regards,

Short answer : yes. And you shouldn’t even bother about it, because they are automatically copied in the appropriate folder when you install Dorico 4.2

2 Likes

Just to be clear, you’re referring to the user keycommands file, not the file that resides in the folder with the application, right? (Sorry I’m on PC, not sure where this lives on Mac.) You’ll certainly want the main keycommands file to go ahead and install with 4.2 as it will contain new shortcuts like the Jump Bar. The user keycommands file should work fine though.

2 Likes

I mean the “keycommands_en.json” file located in the following folder:

Users/<account folder>/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 4/

I think it should be equivalent to the following folder under Windows:

C:\Users\<account folder>\AppData\Steinberg\Dorico 4\

I did not upgrade Dorico from 3.5. Therefore, I should manually restore my personalised key commands.

Thank you very much for the kind and quick answers from both of you! It is hard to select only one answer as a Solution.

Best regards,

Everything in that folder is portable apart from preferences.xml. Preferences.xml contains (among other things) the AutoSave path, which explicitly refers to your user account. If your user account (username) is different on this computer to the other computer, or different on this OS installation to the other OS installation, you’ll need to either manually update this path within preferences.xml in a text editor or just delete that file and manually set your preferences again from within Dorico.

Otherwise there’s no particular reason not to lift the entire contents of that folder, which includes your saved default Engraving Options, Notation Options, Layout Options, custom Project Templates etc.

2 Likes