the crappy new GUI of Cubase 10 (yes, it's only a rant)

A-M-E-N

Personally, I like C10 GUI very well. C10 looks cleaner I have been able to adjust the monitor so it isn’t so bright. Now I do not use the dark theme and I have tweaked the settings some but I have a design that I can work very well with. It seems like they moving in the right direction.

Hi Folks
I have had the same problem with Cubase 10 regarding high contrast issues after installation as described by other users on this forum. I know this sounds obvious but here’s how I fixed it and it now looks great without half the glare.
Navigate too edit and select preferences look for user interface and click on Colour schemes then click on Defaults, choose the darkest square from the Choose Colour Scheme menu then click apply.
If you now click on the edge of the transport panel you will notice other elements of the GUI darken down.
Hope this helps everyone out with this issue I’m currently on Windows 7 and im using an Asus GT730 silent graphics card so nothing to special and it works fine now.
Regards
Dave N.I

I’ve been using Cubase since 6, and this is the very first update I wasn’t excited about. The new UI was the only reason why I didn’t upgrade right away. But with their 50% anniversary sale, I figured I’d go for it, mainly because of Variaudio3. When I first opened 10, my eyes were assaulted by the high contrast Hub, and it was only downhill from there. Fonts are too big and take up space. Big frames around elements. Transport control simply looks like a toy. I set up my windows to show the same components as I had in 9.5, and in some cases had to remove some because they took up too much room. After working in 10 for a few hours, my eyes were quite tired. Side by side, 9.5 is so much easier on the eye and much more refined - it was much easier to scan the screen and find what you need. 10 looks like it’s meant for children.

I’ll be sticking to 9.5 for now (at least I can use the new sound content in 9.5). I really hope they’ll make tweaks to the UI to make it easier on the eyes, otherwise there’ll be little reason for me to upgrade.

My ONLY issue with it is I have to fiddle around to get the transport controls to all fit on my screen. I’m still newish to the Cubase 9.5 and 10 experience so it’ll more than likely get better with time.

Fascinating!!! I tested it and it works, even with the custom color scheme. Seems to be a bug or something. I can not imagine that’s an intended behavieour.

Kontakt Portable? Is that a new version?

r,
j,

for me mixer GUI is very bad, arranger window is ok.
Mixer (since version 7 I think) is just very badly designed

I can confirm that on my setup (win 7) it looks very blurry, to the point that i just can not work with it.
C 9.5 on the other hand looks sharp, fonts are clear, the glowing white is also not present.
I also will have to stick to C9.5 till this is solved.

Just updated myself from 9.5. Hate the new GUI with all my heart. The buttons look awful, the white fonts are blinding, and the transport panel looks like a plain mistake. Shame!

Give us the option to customize the GUI so longtime users don’t have to suffer awful design decisions for new content/updates!

Glad this wasn’t just me thinking there was something wrong with my setup.
I just posted this on another area of the forum…

I just installed C10 from C9.5. Same issue here. The text in the drop down menus is fuzzy. What a shame. Would love to hear is there is a fix. I’m running at 144Hz refresh rate. 1920x1080. Windows 7 64 bit, NVidia.

OK I just read that “HiDPI is only supported on Windows 10 systems”. dang!

also found this:
•To enable HiDPI support in Cubase, go to Edit ▸ Preferences ▸ General and check ‘Enable HiDPI’. HiDPI support will be enabled next time you start Cubase.
•When enabled, the user interface will use graphical assets in high resolution

this option is not shown on my PC - I’m assuming it’s because I’m on Windows 7. Crum!!

Another crappy colors example:

Where the heck all these colors are getting from ?

Its the rounded off windows etc… it looks amateur and not solid. The mixing strip is a garbage too and its very laggy.
Studio One wipes the floor with it for workflow and speed…
I really wish it was as tight to use and look at as it was as Cubase SX1
Still hoping … still wishing. wont hold my breath !

Uhm, I installed Cubase 10 trial yesterday. All the text everywhere looks like poop, antismooth… Is there a new setting somewhere to fix this? Im not talking about 4k issues, i have ordinary monitors. No issue in C9.5.

Hi msy,

This may be the answer…let us know:
OK I just read that “HiDPI is only supported on Windows 10 systems”. dang!

•To enable HiDPI support in Cubase, go to Edit ▸ Preferences ▸ General and check ‘Enable HiDPI’. HiDPI support will be enabled next time you start Cubase.
•When enabled, the user interface will use graphical assets in high resolution this option is not shown on my PC - I’m assuming it’s because I’m on Windows 7. Crum!!

I’m still on 7 also but have a 4k setup for a few years now.
They have made improvements but Win7 C10 on 4k is a pita. I was about to update to Win10 but realized Win12 is to be released later this year so I am gonna wait then update to 10 & 12 and go with whichever is better for my rig. (Most likely 10).

IMO Cubase has ALWAYS struggled in the GUI area. They are always behind and late to update anything. When confronted they always blame the OS meanwhile every other daw GUI works seamlessly.

The GUI for Cubase needs to be re-written from scratch. It’s 2020 and quite embarrassing that a pro level DAW still struggles with GUI implementation.

Agreed, for us Mac users even more so than windows. The GUI on Mac is still slow/with issues compared to all other DAWs I have on the same computer.

I hear ya Royal. I’m still on Win 7 and, aside from the crummy look of C10. it’s stable. No reason I’m aware of to upgrade to Win 10. I have Win 10 on another PC for business and found it very top-heavy. Win 7 just seems lighter and more streamlined.

Yep,It took me a while to get off XP because it was stable for me. Same here with W7 but it has reached EOL and will no longer be supported so a forced update is on the horizon cause that’s when things get unstable and wonky. IOW, No Support or Updates for needed components.

I’m on 10 on my laptop and will most likely do a streamline install but It’s 4 years old now so should be stable enough for DAW use…then again, windows happens. lol

Just dropping in to note that the topic of this thread is the GUI design. If there are more posts leading the topic in another direction, the thread will be moved to the Lounge or Computer and Studio setup.