the crappy new GUI of Cubase 10 (yes, it's only a rant)

Duly Noted!

Bot: Let’s hope with the next update they take input from the community regarding what we actually want.
I like that they have surveys but there wasn’t much on the GUI.

I am from a different camp, I hate the standard dark coloring and garish pink midi notes and this put me off buying Cubase but when I saw the lighter blue coloring mixed with a light colored piano roll and the midi notes given pastel colors, it looks great! I hate dark DAW’s and since they all seem to go in that direction the choices become limited. Customizations of other DAW’s don’t work for me but the customizations I have done with Cubase look professional.

I’ve not used Cubase before but I am happy with the way it looks now, much, much better than any other DAW I have used. I don’t know about previous versions of Cubase so I can’t comment there but I find the current C10 look (with the modifications) to be great.

To me the overall Cubase 10 GUI looks A LOT better than that of 9.5, and I belong to those not so few, who couldn’t care less about the old design. There are details to adjust, but the vey last thing I would want is a way back. So obviously taste differs, and those who prefer the old fashioned way can’t speak for all of us or make generalizing statements. Colours, contrasts, font sizes etc. will all stay matters of discussion to make the the new GUI even better, but apart from that, I definitely prefer overview and functionality since Cubase 10.

The only thing, which really has to be fixed fast from my view, is adding 125% and 150% HiDPI scaling: the present 100% and 200% settings simply do NOT fit the most used actual nowadays monitor environments, and workarounds have massive downsides. This fix is urgent, to make HiDPI really useful.

Yeah I’d go a long with this - I’d find it hard to go back to a previous version now. With modifications the GUI looks good to me. Essentially lightening the black and choosing a highlight colour I like.

Steve. The GUI and the operating system are obviously intertwined. Not sure there is a better spot for this. But if you have something in mind please let us know.

I know I’m repeating myself but it’s really just the pull-down menus that look unprofessional. As I’ve stated above it looks like I’m stuck with this until I can upgrade to win 10. Yuck

Welp, gonna most likely jump on the Win 10 wagon this weekend. I hope it improves the gui look on my 4k monitor that I’ve been using for like 5 years already and, IIRC Cubase 4k res is only supported in Win 10.

ftr, I agree that discussing the OS and gui go hand in hand and have a direct correlation with each other so imo it’s relevant to the discussion of the topic.

That said, If it helps the look of it even a weebit, I’ll notice and maybe start to like the look. Nah…probably not but as long as it I get no new issues I’ll be happy.

Royal, please let us know how this goes. I am very close to doing the same thing myself with the upgrade. Thanks for the Post.

Gui is designed pretty good (except the upper half of the mixer of course, that’s a disaster).
It just needs a more modern look that’s all

I set custom colors in preferences, from those baby blue and other preschool colors to more “serious” looking colors like gray, golden, brown, etc, looks much better now.

Too bad can’t change all those toy-ish shapes and outlines in cubase too something more “serious”

Still in the process of adding some VST’s as I am mostly trying to install VST3 compatible plugins and streamline everything.
So far I can say without a doubt the clarity is definitely better.
Where are before I could only use windows font zoom setting now w/the Hidpi and W10 it looks “crisper” on my 4k where as before it was nice just not as sharp. I’d say it’s not a big improvement but a noticeable one.
It also seems to load faster and overall feels a bit “snappier”…of course right after I write this it scans my plugs… :laughing:

That said, there is ZERO improvement rn to how it runs.
Also, when I have the cursor set to follow it’s very jittery while that could be my video card although it really shouldn’t as my card handles 4k…interestingly, This happened before after an updated version although I can’t recall which I said to myself, I’ve seen that jitter before!

It wasn’t a matter of have to but had to as Win7 just became too stagnant for my setup and I can easily say although it isn’t setting records and exploding the wow factor, it still seems like a good decision.

Now, off to get some more plugs and expansions in, such a tedious part of it. :slight_smile:

Royal,
Thank you so much for taking the time 2 tell us about your upgrade experience.

No doubt… In sticking with the main topic The GUI is actually behaves a little better and seems more tolerable in 4k.
It behaves well but I’m hoping for some enhancements like better fonts and mixer skins.
As long as any changes they make doesn’t hinder or decrease performance. They seem to break things with every update.
I recommend setting aside a few days but definitely get started on updating to 10 unless you want to lock your system up the way it is and never update again until you get another system.

btw, This is what my basic template that I start with looks like and with a project open:

Always tinkering to make it better but everytime you do they change the damn color module on you! :cry:
Let me know if you have any other q’s… :slight_smile:

I really like the way you’ve got that looking Royal, is there a way to share color schemes without messing up other preferences?

As someone running on 2x 1080P screens i’m really jealous of that resolution! …If things look good on 10.5 i may have to invest in higher res displays i think.

TY! Always tweaking it and I have 2 versions of this one.
ANd yes, there is a way…Now, will it work, who knows!? lol :laughing:

I’m kind of an early adopter as I worked in the AV Industry for some time so I usually have stuff that is future proof but needs tweaks to work properly early on. iow, I’m a sucker for tech…
That said, you can’t go wrong as 4k is finally working correctly so and is relatively inexpensive.
I just got a 40" 4k tv for $200. That’s pretty insane…

and again, sticking with the topic, the gui does look better now in Win10 then in Win7.
Just remember, Cubase ONLY SUPPORTS 2 Zoom levels, 100% and 200%, nothing in between and 200% is pretty big but looks sharp af…lol

So is the TV as sharp as a conventional computer monitor? I always presume that dedicated computer displays are far superior for text than a display which is designed for watching TV? But maybe that’s no more true.

I’m guessing that C10.5 dropping support for win7 will see those other scaling options followed correctly too in future?

Not really but 4k for $200 looks better than 1080p for $500 just a few years ago…lol :laughing:

IDK about the scaling, as being discussed here and for years Steinberg seems behind the curve when it comes to GUI, resolution, window behavior etc…

Think about it, they are asking people if they want multi-touch capability in 2019 and have yet to adopt correct 4k scaling. Not really on the forefront of things in that aspect IMO.

Whoever is responsable in The Cubase team, should give the actual scaling issues the highest possible priority on their Todo list, on a par with urgent bug fixing, and ahead of any other development IMO.

If they don’t get this done fast (and that means within 2019), they will be surprised, how much this issue will provoke customers to jump ship, and it will be much harder to get them back, than supply them with something as basic as a useable resolution, with actual monitors, in the first place.

This issue is more urgent than most others! It defines the basic working experience right when you open Cubase, before anything else! A 10.5 version without this fixed could not even be accepted as a legitimate upgrade by most Cubase users!

Well, I’ve already jumped to Studio One. Looks much better on our 4k screen, regardless of scaling values.

Steinberg clearly doesn’t bother about fixing their long standing GUI issues. Not only the broken DPI scaling, also e.g. the outdated, distracting, ridiculously large window borders that take up unnecessary real estate. So sad!