The crossgrade offer from Notion

If you can find Dorico bootlegs on the internet, you should tell Steinberg where for them to deal with it.

If you’re not prepared to pay, then you’re not a customer. You’re upset that you can’t get the cross-grade from Notion, so you’re doing some entitled whining about what you think you’re ‘owed’.

Either pay the asking price and get the product, or walk away and use something else. The market will decide whether Dorico is successful.

Or rather, if you can find Dorico bootlegs that will actually run without a license. The installers are freely available from the Steinberg website…

The good news is Dorico is not a monopoly. In the days of Henry Ford, it was pretty much, buy his car or walk. If you could afford the better alternatives, you had them already anyway. You don’t have to do that these days. There’s Finale, Sibelius, Dorico, Notion, MuseScore, LilyPond, and on and on and on (and some of these are free to boot). I don’t lambaste Mercedes’s prices just because I can’t afford their cars. I may lament that I can’t afford such luxury, but I don’t think they are unfair for pricing their cars that high. There are tiers of products. I just so happens that Mercedes (and Dorico) happen to be in the premium tier.

It is a common fact that on this forum a critical note is unwanted, even it makes sense.
I’ve seen this happen over and over again, when users made a remark or stated their disappointment.
This place is not a religious one were we constantly give praise and serve.

It is not about the price-point, it is about the attitude towards prospective buyers.
I am not in favour of using pirated software, but will not support a system that software vendors make use of to constantly raise prices with a story that simply is not true. Can they do something about pirated software? They damn well can! Are they willing to do so? No, they are not and this has been going on for the last 30 years. This is why pirated software flourishes. Their business model makes you and I pay way too much for software that can be cheaper, with many more users and the same or even more profit!

Those of you who still want to turn a blind eye and pay too much, be my guest.
I am not my borther’s keeper, so will not report to Steinberg where or who provides pirated software.

I rest my case!

Seems wise.

That’s an assumption, not a verified fact.

For some categories of “unpiratable” merchandise (e.g. physical objects) it turns out that increasing the price actually increases the number of items sold, because potential customers associate price with quality.

If a start-up company figured out how to build cars and sell them at a profit for say $1,000, would anybody buy them? Probably not, because “common sense” says a $1,000 car is likely to be a piece of unreliable junk, compared with a $10,000 car. Even if that is demonstrably not true, the truth doesn’t matter if most of your potential customers think it is true.

You should probably read my posts if you think I’m never critical here. Steinberg don’t blame prices on pirates. In fact there was a post here by a Steinberg employee that claimed that newer versions of Cubase have not been pirated due to the dongle.

This has been a fascinating thread to me for multiple reasons. For starters, I disagree that debate isn’t welcome. It most certainly is. I think you are simply feeling the fact that the forum, by and large, doesn’t agree with you on this particular opinion. No one is preventing you from sharing your opinions or personally attacking you for sharing them.

As far as the issue of being willing to do something about pirated software: Steinberg most certainly does! There are threads upon threads about how people are peeved with the limitation of their [current] licensing system. You only get one install or have to use a dongle. This is precisely to prevent the aforementioned theft.

Lastly, no one is going to force you to pay ‘too much’ money for this software. No one is twisting your arm and doing you an injustice here. I really fail to understand just how someone decides a software’s price is “unfair”. The most common way is comparing it with similar software, in which case, Dorico is right where one would expect it to be.

With that, I too, —cordially— rest my case.

Except that some expectations do not make sense.

There was a story at a school I attended (and later taught at). A parent came into the office one afternoon to confront her son’s teacher–a somewhat formidable person–about her son’s grade.
“My son is smarter than that,” claimed the parent.
“But,” the teacher responded, “your son is an underachiever.”
The parent’s eyes grew wide. “On the contrary, you are an over-expecter!”