The Cubase workflow and that of other DAWs

HOW???

ASIO direct monitoring checked here. Whenever I monitor a track, the hardware routes input to output, ok, and cubase mutes (doesn’t playback) the events already recorded on that track.

How do YOU achieve that?

Aloha luiza,
Just to chime in on Sonar.

I sat down with my buddy who uses Sonar and within half an hour I could do 75%
of the stuff I do with Cubase.

Sonar like Cubase is very easy to understand. ‘Right off the bat’

The ‘feel’ of Sonar reminded me so much of Cubase,I actually thought;
“OK so they ripped off Cubase’s layout and workflo” etc.

Maybe they did, maybe not. (or the other way round)

luiza
my point to all this is, in time you will be just as comfortable
with C6 as you were with Sonar.

To me Cubase/Sonar feel like cousins.

HTH
{‘-’]

To clarify…You can monitor the channel via your interface direct monitoring (with Cubase ASIO direct monitoring switched off) but this only works during playback…once you hit record you can’t hear what you are in effect recording over.

I already feel pretty comfy with Cubase, this thread has helped me a lot with things I missed from the tutorials and everything else. But I gotta say Cubase feels like it’s a more “mature” app, deeper customisation, more and better implemented possibilities and even easier on the eyes. And most of all, far more stable than Sonar X1, goddamn. So far, the only thing I miss about Sonar are the drum maps, and the fact you can delete unused note lanes, but as for everything else, I don’t think I’ll ever be going back to Sonar.

by the way, when you have the “click empty space to relocate cursor” option checked, is there a way that by doing so, the cursor will stick to the grid? it will do so if I relocate it by clicking the ruler, but not empty spaces.

You can use Mixdown to track, meaning that the new audio file will be placed on a new audio track in the project without having to manually import it.

I haven’t needed to use this yet, but I suppose what you mean is the “Import into Project” section of the Export Mixdown dialog.

And finally, my first real issue with Cubase, for some reason, it decided not to play tracks anymore. when I push “play”, the cursor moves, but the meters don’t.

And finally, my first real issue with Cubase, for some reason, it decided not to play tracks anymore. when I push “play”, the cursor moves, but the meters don’t.

Happened to me. Try changing you audio card driver definition in Cubase “Device”. And then change it back to whatever it was before (when it was working). This did the trick for me.

So all VST/// plugins should be able to accept sidechain, is this true?

No, only the ones that can.