The curse of "US Letter" paper in the USA, and Dorico

I have a high-end Samsung SCX 8120, that is able to print in numerous formats – formats that do show up as options (tho’ not the default) in my Print mode. Again, this was information that only meant something to me after reading this very old post.

Thanks, Derrek.

I had visited that page prior to searching the forum; in fact, it was because that page contains so much information, in condensed form, that I then searched the forum for more background.

The obvious only seems obvious once it’s obvious. :wink:

To be honest, I always have to print from PDF. My standard part size is 9.5" x 12.5". I have tried every possible combination of Print settings with my Ricoh 6330 printer and it is impossible to print correctly on this paper from Dorico. I always have to export to PDF, then print from Acrobat. I always create PDFs anyway so it’s not really an added step, but Dorico’s Print module is definitely very limited as it can’t access any of the system print settings. (Dorico is the only program I regularly use that has this problem BTW.)

You may just want to get used to exporting PDFs and then printing from Acrobat if you are still having issues.

2 Likes

Yes, I do the same. PDF is the way to go.

2 Likes

Thanks for this heads-up, FredGUnn and dankreider :smiley:

1 Like

I would like to have the option of a global setting for US paper because I have to be sure and change the A4 every document.

Change the default paper size to North American in the application Preferences.

1 Like

That might not be a coincidence since these might be done by the same dev(s). If AVID Sibelius till now still leave this issue unfixed, then their current devs may be failed from noticing that.

I never use Dorico built-in print. I always render PDF and print the contents separately. However, during my years in Canada the US Letter is the common choice there, and I was using Sibelius pretty much in the ULeth (except my final year switching to Dorico).

P.S.: Why don’t you people start a revolution or something to give paper factories sort of “pressure” to encourage them not making the US like an arschloch in the paper standards? Why US always plays something internationally troublesome even in paper size standards?

@Wheat_Williams

BTW I just checked the US Amazon and found pretty much search results of A4 papers, FYI:

The problem with A4 isn’t that you can’t technically obtain it (yay, internet!)…. But that it’s often cost prohibitive to do so, and no one else uses the size, so folders and 3 ring binders are all wrong too. It’s usually just not worth the hassle.

1 Like

Except for the entire World! I delight in the irony that our erstwhile American colonies still cling to their imperial roots.

1 Like

I think Romanos’s point is that it’s much harder to lay your hands on A4 than Letter in the U.S.
It’s much harder to lay your hands on two-ring or four-ring A4 binders, in the U.S.
It’s much harder to lay your hands on appropriately sized folders for A4, in the U.S.

It’s possible to purchase all of these things in the U.S. if you have the luxury of time (I note that several of @ShikiSuen’s Amazon links actually point to products despatched from outside the U.S., some of which aren’t available to US zipcodes - Amazon.com is, after all, the catch-all international flavour of Amazon), but it’s not fair to expect U.S. colleagues/clients/students to go hunting for A4.

All that said, there’s a switch for this within Dorico preferences, and as has been explained many many times, if A4 is selected in Print mode but you’re actually using Graphics Export, as long as it’s a “Normal” job the print mode page size is irrelevant and will be ignored by Dorico - you should ignore it too.

Leo, forgive my poor attempt at humour!

1 Like

I forgot to mention that at this moment oversea shipping can be a hard thing to do due to COVID-19 status.

It’s not just Covid. I’m not buying three-ring binders from the UK and paying twice as much for shipping as for the cost of the product. Sorry chaps, I’m sure you have great binders over there…

3 Likes

Precisely. It’s just not worth the effort for this side of the pond.

I should note that for some of my organ scores I’ve edited two editions: us letter (or 2up 11x17) and A4, and I’m usually careful to share the A4 version with anyone who isn’t based in the US.

And for the record, I’d totally support adopting the international standard. But that will probably never happen because we all have too much of the other stuff (including filing cabinets, sheet protectors, hole punches, card stock, binders, and more besides) which will forever prevent that from happening.

1 Like

Even as the creators of the imperial system, the UK has successfully made the transition to ISO sizes. I’m sure the mighty USA could do likewise.

Meanwhile I note that continued confusion over imperial/metric has caused the USA a number of high profile engineering failures.

2 Likes

Oh come now. In the UK, the road signs are in miles but the gas is dispensed in liters. People in glass houses …

That’s above my paygrade. If my local stores start selling A4 everything, I’ll shift no problem. Until then, not my monkey, not my zoo.

1 Like