The future of EUCon?

Now that I’ve installed a beta update for my v1 Euphonix MC Pro (for evaluation), all the functions as they were initially designed, have returned working properly!
And now that I’m such a happy camper, I’m thinking of expanding the MC pro with Euphonix CM408t 8-channel fader modules in order to build a System 5-MC.

My question:
do you (fellow forum-members, and dear people @ Steinberg) think it’s wise to invest in building this EUCon based controller while Avid (who owns EUCon) basically only expands EUCon for ProTools, and Steinberg is basically only building up to Nuage?

How long will EUCon still be implemented and supported in Nuendo?

Thanks for any advice.
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Oh, I think we should be OK. Steiny doesn’t look like they’re putting a budget Nuage on the market to target the ArtistMix clientele, and AVID must be interested in targeting customers beyond the Protools scope.
So EUCon for Nuendo should be around at least until our current units are physically obsolete.

Why would drop Steinberg Eucon, if that would mean that they are cutting off their customers from any Avid control surface?

Fredo

Both very clear statements, which give me quite some confidence I’m not investing in a -yet- dead horse…

Don’t forget that it was Steinberg (In collaboration with Euphonix) who created the Eucon protocol in the first place.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

Was it?
I didn’t know that? I thought was Euphonix on it’s own?
This makes clear why this MC Pro is 100% compatible with Nuendo.
I really think EuCon is a great, maybe the best controllers-protocol…it’s quit a pity that Avid bought Euphonix in that way; this protocol should stay “independent”?

We shall see what the EuCon-future brings…

Niek/Amsterdam

Steinberg developped (Martin Stahl) the DAW side and the “communication” protocol between hard- and software; Euphonix developped the hardware side of things. After Avid bought Euphonix, they “closed” the Hardware-side of the Eucon protocol, so only Avid can offer controllers that support Eucon. Reason why Nuage doesn’t support Eucon. (This is not some kind of ripp-off on behalf of Avid, just a normal business decision. After all, Avid is mainly selling hardware. And they didn’t have a good Controller protocol) It is however free for any software developper to use Eucon.

Fredo

Good to know this great background. Those were the days…
Thanks!
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Sys5 mc is at the end of its life cycle. there is no more production of sys5 (and mcpro) and Avid will support the existing systems for 3-4 more years.
Which means future software upgrades can be an issue.
Very disappointing for all of us that spend that much money on the hardware not long time ago.

Well, but the newer controllers run Eucon as well, right? So it’s not like they’ll stop developing and supporting Eucon on the Avid side - they have to in order to sell the s- and Artist-series controllers.

Yes, all Avid controllers use Eucon and Eucon only.

Fredo

Why would drop Steinberg Eucon, if that would mean that they are cutting off their customers from any Avid control surface?

Well sometimes they are forced to do so, even if it was a brilliant idea and has big possibility for marketshare, just look what happend with Virtual Guitarist, Liquid Mix from focusrite, I own all these products :smiling_imp:

And sometimes they just do end support as they have a new line of product already a few years going, the resources to maintain drivers and supporting software are then dropped because of the tching tching (dollars, yen, euros!

Though VG2 is still working in my windows 10 64 bit setup and my midex-3 has 64 bit drivers, the focusrite doesn’t anymore, only 32 bit platform win7 is supported, the 64 bit setup worked but wasn’t stable enough.

In Steinberg’s defense. Charlie is the inventor of ASIO and VST (not to mention midi sequencing …), and although there is no direct profit in maintaining ASIO & VST, it is still offered for free, and is maintained until this day.

You are right in saying that nothing is impossible, but it is very unlikely that Steinberg will drop a technology/protocol, knowing that they will p**** of a big deal of their customers. And thereby limiting their own market and potential markets.

And -on a personal level-, I do not believe in protectionism. On the contrary. I believe in sharing. Not because I want to be Mr. Nice guy, but simply because our business is a niche market. Our business is simply too small to kill each other off. I strongly believe that “getting along” will benefit Avid and Steinberg customers.

Therefore, I most certainly hope that the powers that be at Avid, that is including my friend Lars Baumann (ex Nuendo Product Manager) someday will open up the Eucon protocol for hardware. So that PT users can also make use of the Nuage and that Avid and Steinberg sahre the same communication protocol to any hardware unit. Yes, even Beringer. And maybe create an API so that third party plugin developpers can make AAX & VST plugins within one easy framework. And why not ASIO for mac.

Nope, haven’t been drinking yet.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

There are many ways to see things and your opinion sounds valid in any way.

The examples I gave for VG2 and focusrite did end because VG2 was developed by Wizoo which became a member of the AVID Family, the collaboration ceased, who knows why but I suspect that Avid didn’t want a competitor with this kind of product/quality working against them.

The liquid mix 32 from focusrite was developed by a Portuguese company syntefex, they dropped also this productline (at least that’s what I recall), Focusrite was sad about this, so they gave me rednet plugins as a gesture.

The reasons why are speculations…
Ooh and I’m drinking now…cheers!

Wizoo was bought and “put to sleep” by Avid. They needed the technology, nothing else.
Same goes for Euphonix, they needed the technology.
As said, we are working in a nice-business. Making profit is very-very-very tough for a small company. That’s why they get bought by bigger ones.

Fredo

Haven’t been drinking yet…?
Sounds more like a hallucinogen drug to me :mrgreen:

Fact is that AVID/DODGY has been on the forefront of protectionism for many years. They use their own protocols, cables, HD cards, plugin formats - gosh they would encode the pressure moving through the air if it was physically possible…