the Lost Features topic

SX made Cubase modern, but the Atari version was a masterpiece!!! VST32 was a colored version of Cubase Atari.

So here is a topic where features that got lost in the SX paradigm shift could be gathered and maybe … :bulb:

But don’t add all the crap you can think of for the sake of it.
Just add something when you run into its absence.
And just add one at a time.

This is the internet so let the mudslinging begin!

If you had no parts on the selected MIDI track changing the settings in the Inspector changed the entire track.
If one or more MIDI Parts were selected those Parts were changed but not the unselected Parts.
Say you decided tow of five Parts needed to be raised an octave, then select them and the change only applied to those tracks.
Then you used Ghost Parts (now shared parts?) to duplicate and you only needed to change the orignal part to have the rest following.
I run into this one a lot, not only for octaves of course, but I sooooooooooo wish it could reappear in Cubase.

Am I missing something? I think you can do this in INFO line.

:blush: + :sunglasses:

Thanx Jarno and thanx Steinberg!

So … at the pragmatical level this topic works beyond my expectations! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing:

Good! Isn’t this what we are here for.

But you’re right. There was some features in C VST inspector, which used to apply to parts and would be nice to have. For me the most important was program change.

yeah, those little Program Changes were so awesome. Just a number changed everything! Now we have to add a complete Track or some other ugly workaround for something that used to be very simple. I’d love to have PCs for both VSTs and VSTis!!! :sunglasses: If the PC screw up some big modern VSTi MegeSynth, add a column in the VST Instruments dialog called “disable Progam Changes” and you can check that and no more Program Changes will be sent to that Plugin.

I raised h*** years ago (SX 1 I think) when they took away event volume drawing and, eventually, they brought it back. So it IS possible… one thing I miss from the VST days was having a bunch of tracks, all on one audio channel. It made comping a breeze.

What’s an Atari?

Here’s one:

And here’s a more modern one:

Nice. So in the early days of Cubase, you kept a box of coins next to the machine until you finished your song?

Atari Cubase had MIDI scrubbing (mouse backwards/forwards, eg slowly to locate something) and “stop” events (put one in a track - Cubase stops when it’s reached).

hahaaaaaaaaaah!
Atari-“Game over! Please insert coin!”
User-"What??? In the middle of the last note of my perfect take of my soloooohhHHHNNnnoOOOOOH! :astonished: :cry: :imp: :imp: :imp: "
Atari-“Game over! Please insert coin!”

I am not sure if it would be cluttered in the project window, but what if the Info Line could be there too, and we could somehow change its context (when selecting multiple parts it switches to “affecting parts” and when selecting multiple tracks it goes to “affecting tracks”, etc. Maybe we could also switch manually between contexts or something like that) so it could be reused inside the editors as well?

Just open thoughts (it IS morning after all). :slight_smile:

Howling Ulf writes
“VST32 was a colored version of Cubase Atari”

I may be wrong but didn’t it also add audio as the Atari version was a midi only sequence.

Well, there was the Atari Falcon that could record a little audio. I knew two guys setting up a studio based around this, but I never saw it. They talked about it, though … a lot! :laughing: oh, well, maybe I’ve been know to do the same when I’m into something hehe. I just wonder what this wonder machine from around 1995 would look like today? :mrgreen:

The point however was that if you knew Cubase Atari and bought the last version of VST when it was released the learning curve was flat to the ground compared to SX1 which was almost as different from Atari as … say Sonar!

I liked how I could chop up a blank midi track and type “verse 1” “verse 2” “chorus” “verse 3” “bridge” “solo” etc. in the chopped up bits across the whole song. Also - when I could set left and right markers with L&R mouse buttons. Ah well, progress is progress. Usually. :laughing:

I had an Atari STFM 1040 and Pro24/Cubase and my pal had an Amiga + C-Lab Notator. Apart from whose headphones were better, it was the only thing we ever fought about. :unamused:

Thats the Arranger Track only the latter is 1000x better

I take it that you’re trying to make a sarcastic point however ,this is really a stretch. The steps from Atart Cubase to the final VST version were huge. For ex they included adding functioning audio recording, ASIO and VST instruemnts and effects. Not too much in the DAW world has been bigger since then. Don’t understand the need to pretend this was a flat line period without much progress. I suspect this Lost Features thread will turn into a "Hey ,Steiny does know what they’re doing after all " thread.

I was an Atari user (520ST, still have it)) and remember the Falcon when it came out,

no and no and no that’s not what I meant.
what I tried to say was that if you knew your way around Cubase Atari you could almost guess your way around in VST 3.x to 5.x. It’s the same platform and everything worked just as before but now in colors.
I havn’t seen much or sometimes any of the other big actors on the DAW scene other than ProTools so let’s use that. Going from Cubase Atari to VST was a more or less painless experience if you compare it to going to ProTools where everything had a new name, a new place, a new menu and if it existed a new key command. So when VST32 was retired and SX born it was a lot harder to learn if you came from Cubase Atari? Easier than going ProTools since some functionality was kinda the same but still very different.
The flat line Learning Cureve has nothing to do with technical progess, has it? :confused: Of course there was lots of development done under the hood of Cubase during the VST era but that wasn’t the point. It looked and felt the same as the Atari Cubase as a platform. Everybody I’ve spoken to about the similarities immediately understand what I mean so I’m a little perplexed … :confused:

Misunderstanding of the year award nomination goes to M! j/k :wink: