The most basic transposition

I have this two bar lick in Cmaj, how do I transpose this to Fmaj? Thanks!

Select all, go to Write > Transpose. Transpose a perfect fourth up (or a fifth down).

1 Like

Make sure transpose key signatures is checked. It should default to this.

2 Likes

awsesome, that works! and why would it be a perfect 4th instead of a diotonic 4th?

THanks !

Well, diatonic doesnā€™t really tell you anything, since itā€™s totally subjective. Within a major scale, you could have both perfect and augmented 4ths.

And I donā€™t think the words ā€œdiatonicā€ and ā€œtransposeā€ necessarily go together!

1 Like

Ok thanks! my music theory is lacking there, but I will stick to transposing as perfect intervals :slight_smile: Thank you :smiley:

You can also use the interval popover (shift-I), but the key signature wonā€™t change. Invoke shift-i and write t4 (to transpose to a diatonic fourth up) or t4p (to transpose to a perfect 4th up).

2 Likes

In no case do I get the key signature box available. Iā€™ve tried in a current score and in a new one. Iā€™m starting in C and have a melody that I copy to a new set of measures. I select that set of notes and use the transpose dialog. Transposing by calculated interval or by, say a Pefect 4th, and the key signature box is greyed out: Dorico 3.5.12, Mac OS 10.14.16.

Selecting other options does not make that box ā€˜liveā€™. Unclear how to resolve this.

Do you have an actual C major key signature on the page, shown (and selected) as a red signpost? If not, thereā€™s no key signature for Dorico to transpose. If you donā€™t enter a key signature Dorico doesnā€™t assume C major; it assumes, well, nothing!

yes. however the original melody is copied to another set of measures and the transposition is attempted on those notes.

Ah. Put a key signature at the start of the selected passage before you Transpose; Dorico wonā€™t do that for you. (That said, in this case you could just do a system selection and make sure that the opening key signature is selected before repeating it.)

1 Like

Ok. At first it didnā€™t seem to work. One must choose the signpost as well as the notes. Seems a bit fiddly, but with that caveat it worked.

1 Like

I can see this is the obvious thing to do but it doesnā€™t explain why the restatement of the signpost is necessary at all. Surely the key should logically remain the same until replaced by a different one if it is exactly as in the screenshot above. Or does this transposition only work when the key is explicitly stated in the selected passage? Perhaps itā€™s time to recheck that manualā€¦

The key signature (or the signpost of a key signature that doesnā€™t show accidentals, like C major or A minor) must be selected in order to be transposed. Thatā€™s quite consistent across Dorico, Iā€™d say: that in order to change specific bits of the music, the thing you want to change has to be selected.

1 Like

Rereading the thread, I realise that I was confusing the difference between transposing the music ā€“ which was actually what the earlier replies referred to and, using Calculate Interval, is what I usually do myself ā€“ and actually putting a key change in the score. For the latter then it naturally makes sense that you need to select the signpost. Apologies for the confusion!