The naming scheme

Hi,
Let’s not have this thread go down the obsessive anti Steinberg conspiracy theory road. :wink:
There never was a “feature removal” through evil cunning as it is starting to be laid out here.

Let us remember that the entire export function was redesigned as batch export and the new naming scheme was introduced, which are awesome and well working features. What is at hand regarding overtaking the name of markers to the export name is the loss of a small undocumented feature because the entire export functionality has been rebuild. Also the marker track has been changed changed quite a bit.

A reasonable well formulated feature request as in the OP makes more sense then ranting, hating or blathering about business theories that are not in accordance with the facts. Even more point out the project where you are coming from, your usecases and workflows to emphasize your feaure request and desire for “marker name overtake on export”. That would be constructive and meaningfull. :slight_smile:

Regarding the current situation and export functionality’s, attached to this post is a gif in which I export some sections in the project and I quickly overtake the marker names manually. The workflow could even be quicker by optimizing it with macros. So this is to get back on a constructive positive track. :wink:
ExportingSomeProjectSectionsWithMarkerNaming.gif
For those that view this forum from the outside:
If you are not logged in you will see the message “You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post” instead of the attachements. be aware that to view the attachments in this post and the entire forum you have to be logged into your MySteinberg forum account. You can setup your forum login through your MySteinberg account:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg/create_account.html

Gr,
JHP

My personal important feature request:

1. Multi-Export for-> Arranger Track (!!)
2. Multi-Export for → Markers (!)

perhaps with a check mark in the export window (!) - and of course, incl. affiliated naming scheme - that would make many things easier!

regards,
Central.

No agreed, lets not - possibly one or two posts out of the entire thread shouldn’t confuse the main thrust of this topic.

Already stated and noted by us users, here in this thread - thank you SB.

Cool…! Great…! So it is fully understood by SB, (Devs/Management, whoever…) where this whole threads user ‘unhappiness’ is derived.

Agreed - so you can take heart from the OP; you’ll also, reading carefully, see a lot of support for that OP. It is more than clear.

Oh for goodness sakes - it really is as simple as the OP puts it JHP; no need for loads and loads of ‘usecases’ and project workflows - its there…! As the OP puts it…! Simple as that…!
Cubase 5.0 had a great workflow in this area, then it was gone. And folk have been unhappy about this ever since. how much more simply do SB need it explained/justified…?

Wow…! Whoppee…! You’ve found the workaround, I and probably many others, have had to use since the change occured at C5.01 - Don’t think we just stood still; we’ve had to do this all manually, and you cannot fail to disagree, it is not as good a workflow as it was before.

Now, on an even more positive note, could you help by promoting/highlighting this FR in the correct places, please…? Or is it really the case that more support/usecases/project workflow ideas are needed first…?

Yes Puma0382, outlining workflows and usecases is more constructive then dropping confrontational negative attitude , sarcasm and false claims. :wink:
-------------------------
Here is even quicker way to overtake the marker names:

Macro I used:

1. Transport - Locate Next Event
  2. Edit - Select Events under Cursor
  3. Transport - Locators to selection

I also assigned “Audio Export → Perfrom Audio Export” to a key so I don’t have to click on the export button with the mouse:
ExportingSomeMaterialWithMarkerNaming2.gif
-------------------------
Post you usecases and workflows to backup the OP!
Post usecases in which it would help that if the locators are set to the equivalent range of a range marker the name of the marker should appear in the audio mixdown naming slot on export.

If you are not logged in you will see the message “You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post” instead of the attachements. be aware that to view the attachments in this post and the entire forum you have to be logged into your MySteinberg forum account. You can setup your forum login through your MySteinberg account:

Gr,
JHP

Dear JHP,

First of all, we really appreciate your solutions, they are quite good workarounds.

BUT…this thread started in March 2011. Then it faded away after some posts, some new bumps came…but not a word from Steinberg for a very long time, not even a forum post. The information I got this “removed feature” was from Arnd Kaiser, one of your product planner via PM. He did confirmed that this feature was replaced by the new naming scheme and the undocumented “export by cycle marker names” feature wil be used by SB as a Nuendo-only feature in the future.

When lots of guys were getting angry about this incident, now you offered a solution. No other user did it, so these do not seem to be an obvious workaround (yet still not the same functionality as the old one), but these turned to be quite good. Thanks for that.

However, a faster reaction for workflow issues like this would be great next time, seven months was a bit too long.

To be more constructive here is my feature request (may be part of this thread for some…) in the Export Audio Mixdown window to make Cubase even better: [POLL] "Render as Loop" in Cubase? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

cheers,
Baci

Actually, this feature removal was adressed on the old cubase.net forum, according to this post:
Cubase: Music Production Software - DAW | Steinberg
The thread has been started on june 2010, so it’s more like 14 months that we are waiting for any answer from SB on the lost functionality …

If you are not logged in you will see the message “You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post” instead of the attachments. Be aware that to view the attachments in this post and the entire forum you have to be logged into your MySteinberg forum account. You can setup your forum login through your MySteinberg account:

There never was an export cycle feature in Cubase.
The entire export function and naming scheme has been redesigned because of batch export, naming functions, access to project during open export dialog to name a few advantages. Apparently the undocumented function that a name of a marker gets overtaken to a naming slot when the marker has been double clicked has been lost during the entire rebuild. To speak of feature removal is not correct.

In Cubase 5.01, before the new naming scheme, the following was possible:
Double click on a range marker would set the locators around it. Now when you opened the export audio mixdown dialog, you would already have the name of the marker in the export naming field automatically. This is what this thread is about and what you are referring to in the original post and what you are missing. The following gif demonstrates the name overtake behavior in Cubase 5.01.
Notice that it is not possible to access the project while the export dialog is open and that I always have to close and reopen the export dialog:
Cubase5.01_DoubleClickOnMarker_Name_Of_Marker_Overtaken_To_ExportDialog.gif
In Cubase 6.03 you can double click a marker and the locators will be set around it. However you still need to manually paste the name into the name entry field of the export dialog and the name will not automatically appear in the naming slot of the export dialog. Being able to access the arrangement while the export dialog is open is an advantage that has been gained. This following gif shows how you can quickly overtake the names of a marker to the naming slot in the export dialog:
Cubase6.03_DoubleClickOnMarker_Name_Of_Marker_Overtaken_To_ExportDialog.gif
In Nuendo there is a special automatic cycle marker batch export function which batch exports the markers automatically. In the following gif I show the Nuendo only export cycle feature:
Nuendo_Batch_Marker_Export_Name_Of_Marker_Overtaken_To_ExportDialog.gif
Gr,
JHP

I quite often use Cubase for mastering albums, and the batch export would be most useful.

I set up each song on a separate track, roughly in a suitable sequence, and then I tweak each track’s FX to achieve the master - particularly this is good in Cubase because I can jump around between different tracks quickly and also between sections of songs. Thus I can check that it’s all coming together as a whole album. I even use the arranger track to test track ordering.

Of course, the end of the process is exporting all of the topped and trailed tracks as WAVs using the loop markers I’ve set up, so I’d very much like to see the batch export being put into Cubase please.

Mike.

@ JHP
I use to have a macro before 5.0.1 that did everything in one command, no copy paste or anything. It was lightning fast!
I selected the first maker, press my export macro then everything was set automatically with the right name.
Then i pressed the export next marker macro and bam, i only had to press enter or export button to confirm
The export next marker macro was simple as this:
-right arrow (having already selected and exported the first song)
-range to selection
-export mixdown
Coulden’t get simplier than that.

I also used this macro and it could still be used to export large amounts of drum samples.

Well, even if i’m still unsatisfied by the feature removal, thanks for your help and well explained tips JHP!

Hi,

thanks the detailed answer JHP!

Now everything is clear at least. However I am a bit envy of the great Nuendo implementation, I can live with the workaround suggested by JHP.

Baci