The new GUI is REALLY hard on the eyes

Just for the record - I actually don’t mind the flat look. I think it’s okay. It’s just the contrast that is hurting my eyes. I’ve been working with the program for quite a while now and I have to pause every hour or so. I never had to that with any other software - ever. And I agree that it’s partly due to working in a dark room. But I find it hilarious that some people tell me to change my monitor settings. This is the ONLY program I own that has a problem like this. So I’m supposed to change my monitor settings every single time I tab over into Cubase? That’s what you’re suggesting? Awesome.

Just turn down the contrast on the icons and all is good. Or let me customize the accent color…

I like the flat design but I am starting to get a little fatigue after using C 10 for a few weeks. Might be the contrast is a tad sharp.

One of the best GUI designs has to go to Logic X. It has the muted colours and flat design just right. I’ve never had eye fatigue using that DAW.

For the most part I have been able to adjust to the new version and like it better. What I really don’t like is the color when using the range tool. There just isn’t much contrast between the track color and the color that it displays within the range. I like a dark waveform and a light background and with that combination the range tool color is difficult to read. I don’t see anywhere in preferences to change it.

Horrible isn’t it; and yes, no way for the user to change it - that’s the kicker… :smiling_imp:

Nice and clear in C5:-
Range Selection colour_C5.jpg
Vague, ‘wishy-washy’, hard-to-tell-unless-you-really-look-hard, in C6.5 onwards…:-

(my old C9 forum thread… UI (visibility) tweaks - Cubase - Steinberg Forums)

Its a pity that only a few of us seem bothered - otherwise, its obviously a massive hit with everyone. And has been since v6.5 apparently (I complained.!)

1 Like

I was on C5 for a very long time. Had an old XP machine and it wasn’t broke so I didn’t upgrade. I got used to how C5 functioned and it a way it was nice because I didn’t have to relearn anything.

The only way the highlight sticks out is if you have a really light background. Maybe it might get changed when the address the color tool but I don’t think they will. What I have been doing is use the color tool to change the track color to close to white, do want I need to do, and then change it back. I have to agree with the other posts of the little things that would really improve things.

I like BLACK for the waveform. Both in the project window and the editor. There is no way to see the waveform in the same color across the interface. It takes on the color of the track in the editor. What I end up doing so many times is quickly change the color of the track before I go into the editor and then change it back. All because I prefer a darker waveform on a lighter background.

You can get there from here, but you have to run around the block a couple of times.

I was able to use the Project Logical Editor to create a key command for changing colors, I assigned it to a key command and now it is far easier to change a track color. I have one default for using the Range Tool in the project window and another for using the editor

I usually complain when DAW developers force flat and dark GUIs upon me. Such as Studio One which has the ugliest GUI out there (I still upgraded, though). But with Cubase 10 I am okay. I have actually switched back to Cubase as my main DAW with the advent C 10. Until now I have made every upgrade since Cubase 3, but actually used Reaper for daily work.

For optimal overview of the project I like contrast which is why I usually prefer 3D too because this is a sort of contrast too, just in another dimension. If some unlike me think it is too bright, Steinberg should just add a contrast fader, of course.

That sounds like a good idea to me. I am not aware of any DAWs doing that. Other DAWs might have editors that allow you to develop your own color template, but that’s too much work for me. A simple slider control to increase the contrast would be very helpful and probably satisfy most people. That actually should not be too difficult as surely the various color codes (0xffffff, etc) for the interface must be stored somewhere in Cubase. It would simply be a matter of the slider performing a set-wise transform on the entire set of colors.

when will the gui get improved to like it was in 9.5?

It probably won’t. To improve something usually means you go forward, not back.
You can always change the colours to how you like in preferences.
Ultimately, I’m just happy with stability and work flow. Aesthetics are too subjective to please everyone.

I disliked the GUI in C10 on my mac pro and made it more like previous versions…but then I installed C10 on a macbook pro with retina and I have to say it looks excellent - so I really think it depends what you’re looking at it on.

The accent color (for instance selected track or selected tool) and high contrast of the white fonts in C 10 are really hard on eyes. I don’t mind flat design at all. It’s the contrast. In Cubase 9.0 the accent color was grey and the fonts ware black, which was pleasant to look at. I think, the accent color and font color and size should be customizable.

Please vote, if you are not happy with high contrast elements in Cubase Steinberg Forums

I could not agree more. I simply can’t look at it for prolonged periods, it does my head in. There’s nothing to complain about dark GUIs in general, but they require more fine tuning than bright ones. And fine tuning is obviously nothing that’s ever been on Steinbergs agenda.

The bright buttons with black text were brilliant, and it does not explain itself why the new ones have to be so low in contrast. It doesn’t even explain itself why they had to change those at all. There used to be good visual separation, now it’s all just grey mush.

And can someone please explain why the SX-style elements have that ridiculous blue tint, like progress bars and the IO section in the Inspector? Congratulations.

Whilst this might make sense with graphics applications, where GUI neutrality is beneficial to the process, Audio is different all together.

Well done turning the softwares into a cheap copy of Studio One, which by the way loads of folks did not switch to because of exactly this.

Therefore the 10er releases contemplate my exit from upgrades until they decide to rectify this. Thank you SB for saving my money, as Cubase 9.5 and Nuendo 8 are perfect to work with for years to come.

Wasn’t this topic a poll yesterday? What happened? I clearly remember voting for the C10 interface, since I like it. And now the poll is gone?

/Magnus

This is what’s called “censorship”. Because if you blow it, you gotta hide it.

The clarity of 7.5… You actually see what your doing.

Nonsense. There are plenty of posts complaining about many aspects of Cubase, if your statement were true, they would be systematically removed.

I couldn’t care less for the earlier GUIs and prefer the actual Cubase 10 GUI over all earlier ones.

So the new GUI is NOT hard on “the” eyes, but rather on “some” users’ eyes. I accept other opinions, but not illegitimate generalisation efforts, which in turn are not ackowledging other opinions, pretending to talk for (most) everyone. The OP and followers certainly don’t talk for me, and I know of others preferring the new GUI as well.