The question of Anti-virus programs with Cubase 12 and Win 11

Why is it then when I’ve done everything you’ve suggested, Cubase 12 still can’t produce any audio? Even though standalone VST instruments will produce audio? And Cubase 12 was producing audio output just about 5days ago. What could cause the audio connection to permanently break? I’ve searched high and low for a solution . . . . . . . . .
I wish I could send myself away to a far-away resort island where I didn’t have to deal with this addiction.
15 minutes later-restarted Cubase 12 after removing as much as possible from the Windows startup file, shut off anti-virus software, and voila! audio is back on in Cubase 12. The internet was still on so for me that’s seeming not an issue. The resort island seems way less attractive at this time.

There is no need at all to mess around turning Defender on and off.

Just add Exclusions to your DAW related stuff. (Cubase application, DAW drive and library paths, file types etc.)

This is of course assuming you are not using any cracked software or other risky things.

Thanks for the tip Phil
I have done things like unticking Xbox and Cortana etc.
So now i got rid of Norton and activated Windows defender and done a load more .
Now making new system image.
I just hope steinberg sort out the peak meter from seing red on certain sounds especially Arturia.
I mention the workaround earlier. This is just a niggle. All goes ok even when peak meter goes max.
I did have a reply from a developer i think and he can replicate what i was on about. We will see in next update where we all are.
Apart from that ,there is no real problems. I do use Ozone 9 and the only thing with that is if you hit reference and gain match and switch, sometimes Ozone 9 just disappears with Cubase 12,
Funny that!! :upside_down_face:
You just have to save things more often as you go along in this perfect world :cold_sweat:
This has happened in Cubase 11 as well,otherwise the new Ozone update is great matching the LUF’s now. A little like how Gulfoss works and that is a must to buy.
Just wait for a Black Friday type of day and it will be half price.
I also like M-Drummer, bags of possibilities
Sorry for a little waffling on, but it is nice to see this conversation going well on this forum.
Who cares if someone goes a little off subject now and then. Let’s be Happy :joy:

All the Best
John

1 Like

Just one thing - If you’re working in a professional capacity don’t only rely on defender as you should be at obligation to protect your clients.

You really need something on your outgoing files/emails as prevention. That’s when these larger AV suites and/or cloud solutions are helpful. You can unknowingly pass on nasty’s from different O/S’s too, which people aren’t always aware of.

Defender is fine. I trust it and I trust my clients (businesses). Whatever content I send out to my clients is generated by me and I know they contain no malware since the files were created by me - unless there’s some nefarious virus out there that bypasses Defender and then embeds itself in whatever it is I send out, like audio files.

I’ve had zero problems with Defender since w10, and zero with Outlook mail. Now, Win 7 and mail@Yahoo.com on the other hand!..

Well, like all these protections - You’re effectively paying premium to be the most up to date on the detections and the additional checks and monitoring solutions. Defender can lag behind the premium products out there still today.

I’ve seen ransomware pass straight through defender and rip a business and it’s clients in half - It feels like yesterday, but probably 2 years ago now so maybe not as relevant as defender has improved dramatically.

But it still haunts me to this day, when you see the damage caused and legal issues that arise from that. I’d never leave that outgoing transmission without some kind of secondary scan personally. Or to cover your arse put a disclaimer on all outgoing emails.

Even with a great business insurance and legal support offered there, it can still kill be a killer due to the loss, upheaval and customers that you’ve put at risk.

I think it’s like backing up, you need to have experienced a loss of data to fully appreciate and share with people the importance of local, and external practises - as with Ransomware, it can all be gone in the blink of an eye and you’re left with absolute disbelief.

I wasn’t aware just how dangerous ransomware was at spreading out to external and internally mounted storage until seeing it myself. If you’ve witnessed that and feel that it’s “ok” to run only defender then fair enough. I just can’t agree myself.

Yeah I’ve had ransomware and it was on a Win 7 computer, not Win 10 Pro or higher. And at the time I had other antivirus and must have accessed a site that was questionable. Neither applies today to me.

I just don’t see a lot of reports of these things happening on computers that have Defender that is up to date. If anything I’d say that those taking the computer offline because they want to skip updates are more at risk.

Anyway, I wouldn’t bother with a third-party solution.

rverne10,

Glad to hear it’s working now… I’m assuming you are using a proper audio interface ? (listing your specs would be helpful)… Be sure to disable the on-board (motherboard) sound card. It can be done either in the MB BIOS or if you don’t feel comfortable messing with the BIOS, open Device Manager. Go to, and expand “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” You should see both on-board and your attached audio interface. Right click the on-board audio (may be more than one entry) and choose “Disable”.

Also disabling your antivirus and removing startup background apps was a good start.

1 Like

Re: Malware, ransomware, etc.

This is a problem not just for people going to dodgy sites, etc., but also for corporations with IT and security.

I don’t know how well Windows Defender does with malware (as opposed to virus protection, which I hear it’s pretty good at).

I use Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/ (anti-malware only, i don’t use their antivirus)
therefore alongside Windows Defender. My IT person at work recommends doing that for personal use, and bleepingcomputer.com has said they also think highly of it.

I could see one of the large plugin companies like Waves, etc. getting hacked and subsequently people downloading malware along with their plugins. Doesn’t seem that unlikely at all to me!

For reference:

1 Like

This 100% looks like a fishy website :joy:

How many cases to date of that from daw software vendors?

I think this concept of a “fishy” websites that are unsafe and that you cannot catch malware if you stay on “proper” sites is outdated. Lots of regular websites get hacked and are used for malware distribution. And I wouldn’t vouch for plugin vendor websites, especially from smaller developers where the shop might just be some cobbled together wordpress or whatever and you don’t really know whether the vendor has any experience in web site security.
You can’t trust anyone… they’re out to get you :grin:

None that I’m aware of! But in a fast moving “field” like this, past performance may not be the best predictor of future results!

The total cost of Malwarebytes (not just the $$, but hassle factor included) is quite low to me, so i say, “why not?” :person_shrugging::grinning:

Louis_R,

Nah… bleepingcomputers.com has been around for ever and has been used by the tech community for years.

1 Like

Focus, people!! :smile::smile:

(Sorry @Randy_Livingston , inadvertently written as a reply to you!)

1 Like

Well, you have to have some predictor in order to think it’s “not unlikely” though.

Hey, I don’t really care what people do. If they feel better using these things then by all means. But a lot of people seem to turn stuff like this on and off depending on what they do, and so to me it just doesn’t seem particularly practical. The built-in Defender surely has been coded to be reasonably efficient and unobtrusive. At least I’ve noticed zero performance issues and I’ve kept it on since my install of W10Pro, only letting it ignore a few specific apps. My computer is always online. Zero problems so far.

“why not?”
“Why?”

1 Like