The realities of being a coder: a story of enduring sympathy and hostility simultaneously

GA5 is impressive ,but what bugs me about it most is that you can not create your own kits with acoustic agent libraries like in any other Drum vst.
kick from studio kit, snare from nashville kit etc…
well coders, you got a job to do !! :zipper_mouth_face:

could load 4 kis on 4 different midi channels and then create a drummap with those different channels per kit piece (drum maps can have different channel per note in Cubase) as a work around, not ideal, but, would work

there will be always workarounds, but this should be very straight forward.
this way lot of unnecessary memory is wasted, the drum components are not mic bleed as a one kit in a room etc… but its a specific GA topic and i made long time ago FR for it

That really surprised me to read. It’s a basic feature to swap out drums to get the sound you want, how an earth could that be overlooked?

As i understand it, drum samples are stored as compressed/bundled ‘agents’, which doesn’t make it so easy - but you’d think they could create an index from the packs you have on your machine and pick from that list to swap out instruments from each agent.

1 Like

It’s not bad and I’ve tried it for a bit of fun but nothing like SD3 which I use. Then again the GA version with Cubase is free so can’t complain.

the real attraction of GA isn’t the built in kits/add ons… if that’s what you’re focusing on with GA imo, you’re missing the point. The real strength is incorporating your own samples and doing sound design

that’s right, it is different from the SD3,BFD3 etc… style drum VSTi, but if they already have design it also for acoustic drums with kits and option to buy kits, its should be also easily customizable with the onboard acoustic kits and the purchased acoustic kits.

what I really hope is that they actually open up the SDK to the public to build their own kits and GUIs, much like Halion