The sound of an isoscelized drum kit

A long while ago I mentioned I recorded a drum set using isosceles triangle layout of the overall mics. I added a kick. snare and high hat mic too.

Here is a snippit of the post:

I chose this method of recording for the context of the sound with the other instruments. Here is it in context… The only “hard” processing is on the kick. I did a gate distortion thing to it (can’t remember exactly) and I did some high frequency treatment on the overall drum mix to add some texture to the cymbals. I’m really happy with how it turned out and wanted to follow up with a post. The mix isn’t done yet (have a few refinements I wanna do), but I kinda like it as is too.

So without further adieu click here to listen to a sample of an isoscelized drum kit

One thing I want to stress on is when you choose recording techniques, you have to plan or at least I think you should plan ahead. I suppose you can record whatever way you want and try to make it sound a certain way, but I feel you can get really close without processing the bitchesus out of it by thinking ahead of the overall sound you are after and setup and record it to suit it.

Seeing threads titled “How to record >>>insert instrument here<<<” can provide safe ways to record but never really go into the composition as a whole unless it is a solo instrument but even then different techniques achieve different vibes. The choices for all the recording techniques used for the instruments in a song should really be thought about because it takes the entire song to the next level, sonically.

If we were not about that, we would all play the same exact instrument through the exact same amp playing the same cords the same style.

It wasn’t until you explained to me that one night on the phone that the equidistant microphones from the snare were to avoid phase issues that this made sense.

I found videos on YouTube for recording techniques. Since I’m a visual person, this has been an invaluable educational tool. The author is SignatureSoundStudio.

Thanks for giving us real educational examples. I do have to say that to me, the drums sound very distant in this clip, not even as loud as the string squeaks. But I assume that was what you were after.

I also had great difficulty hearing them (Drums) on my laptop (I know not the best thing to judge :slight_smile: all I got was vocal and Acoustic!

Whats the kik mic?

I suppose I can turn them up. :slight_smile:

The kick mic is an n/d 868. It’s a lovely mic. :slight_smile:

Ah… :sunglasses:

Tom, what are your thoughts on the AKG D112 as a kick mic?

I haven’t used one for probably 10 years, but I liked it fine on kick and floor toms. It’s a really popular mic so I don’t think you can go wrong having one.

Current mics I use are a beta 52 which is a little clicky with a nice bottom, the 868 which is my current fav (such a round nice sounding mic), EV re20 for an open sound or I will carve the heck out of it because it takes eqing really well. I thought about getting a d112 about a year or two ago but chose the 868. The 868 fills other roles too like acoustic bass, guitar and bass cabs too. I’ll also use LDCs but it varies… or add in a 57 or a sdc close to the beee turrr for slap and crack.